If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs West Virginia NCAA Tournament Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: RACERS vs West Virginia NCAA Tournament Game Thread

Post by Dan T » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm

wv123 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm
Hi! WVU fan here. Congrats on your conference title. Looking forward to the game this Friday - doing some very quick research, it appears your team strength is your backcourt. Can someone fill me in on your big men?

I'll be happy to answer any questions about my team to the best of my ability.

Some basics: "Press Virginia" has not been used as much this season as in years past. We still use it a good bit, though. I see a few posts mentioning Jevon Carter. JC is the best defensive guard in the country. He is also the reigning National Defensive POY and two-time Big 12 Defensive POY. Sags Konate is a beast of a shot-blocker, and our other starting guard, Daxter Miles, has been really hot the last 3-4 games. Both of our guards are seniors, each with over 100 starts, so the guard position is a strength of ours as well. Should be a great matchup.
wv123, thanks for the contact. I noticed that we already have the reputation of crack smokers over here! Oh, well, our guards are our strength, but one of them is a freshman and he still has a lot to learn. While I love our guards, I would not rate them higher than your 2 starting senior guards. We are underdogs for good reason, but as we all know, a 5 seed vs. a 12 seed is usually a decent match-up. I'll be rooting for your team if and only if they advance beyond the Racers.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:39 pm

wv123 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm
Hi! WVU fan here. Congrats on your conference title. Looking forward to the game this Friday - doing some very quick research, it appears your team strength is your backcourt. Can someone fill me in on your big men?

I'll be happy to answer any questions about my team to the best of my ability.

Some basics: "Press Virginia" has not been used as much this season as in years past. We still use it a good bit, though. I see a few posts mentioning Jevon Carter. JC is the best defensive guard in the country. He is also the reigning National Defensive POY and two-time Big 12 Defensive POY. Sags Konate is a beast of a shot-blocker, and our other starting guard, Daxter Miles, has been really hot the last 3-4 games. Both of our guards are seniors, each with over 100 starts, so the guard position is a strength of ours as well. Should be a great matchup.
I was looking back at WVU's schedule and realized that I've watched them 6 times this year and only saw them win once. Just about all of them have one thing in common, the opponent managed to keep WVU on it's heels and hit their FT's.

Other than that I see two teams that pride themselves on the defensive end and are at their best when they are able to score in transition and take the majority of their shots inside of 17ft. The Mountaineers run a little deeper than the Racers rotation wise but the majority of their scoring comes from 8 players.

Whichever team is able to avoid an extended drought offensively is likely to win the game.
Last edited by NKYRacer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

EDW
TRN Walk-On
TRN Walk-On

Post by EDW » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 pm

We're the second game of the day Friday. First game tips off at 12:30 CST on TNT.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Welcome to Racer Nation wv123!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

apsufan56
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by apsufan56 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Congrats on your #12 seed! Go out west and make some noise!!
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Here’s an article I like.
One that jumps off the page is No. 12 Murray State taking on No. 5 West Virginia. Murray State has excellent guards — led by terrific senior Jonathan Stark — and with its three-guard lineup, could fare well against the Mountaineer press. And then there’s 6-foot-8 senior center Terrell Miller, a serious three-point threat who could pull West Virginia’s terrific shot-blocker, Sagaba Konate, away from the rim.
https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-Tour ... -116129220
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:14 pm
One that jumps off the page is No. 12 Murray State taking on No. 5 West Virginia. Murray State has excellent guards — led by terrific senior Jonathan Stark — and with its three-guard lineup, could fare well against the Mountaineer press. And then there’s 6-foot-8 senior center Terrell Miller, a serious three-point threat who could pull West Virginia’s terrific shot-blocker, Sagaba Konate, away from the rim.
I would make a good bet that WV's shot blocker will not be assigned to guard Miller. Why would Huggins do that?
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I think that sums it up smidge. Protect the ball, pull the shot blocker out, and drive drive drive. Handling the pressure and zone will be the key.

Welcome to the board wv123. As other have said we are heavily guard oriented. Jonathan Stark could start for 90% of the country if not more. Seeing him vs Carter will be amazing. We look better in an up tempo game as do the Mountaineers. We tend to settle for the 3 too often IMO. You can watch replays of past MSU games at ovcdigitalnetwork.com if you are THAT kind of basketball nut ... like me :salute:
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

wv123
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by wv123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

Dan T wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm
smidge34 wrote:
I would make a good bet that WV's shot blocker will not be assigned to guard Miller. Why would Huggins do that?
I agree. Most likely he will be guarded by another forward, probably Wes Harris, a 6-8 wing.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm

wv123 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm
Dan T wrote:
smidge34 wrote:

I agree. Most likely he will be guarded by another forward, probably Wes Harris, a 6-8 wing.
Huggy played against us a lot in the early 80's while hc at Akron
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

bjhracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by bjhracer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Dan T wrote:
smidge34 wrote:
So you would put West Virginia's shot blocker on Sanchious?????? Why?
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Less work for him, and to keep him in the lane
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 pm

MarshallRacer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Less work for him, and to keep him in the lane
Yup.
Like this! Liked

wv123
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by wv123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:45 pm

msuowns wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm
wv123 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm
Dan T wrote:

Huggy played against us a lot in the early 80's while hc at Akron
He mentioned that in his press conference tonight. Also that one of our guards Beetle Bolden, had played on some kind of exhibition team with your senior guard this past summer.
Like this! Liked

BarnsleyRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by BarnsleyRacer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Like this! Liked

RACERlineman
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RACERlineman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 pm

Is it wrong that I would like to see Hollywood and shoulders and gomer Pyle just to watch Huggins lose his mind like earlier this season. Hope coach gets our men ready for a very physical game. Wished the game was closer I was going anywhere but the 2 way out west. If we click on all cylinders this weekend I'll pay to see us go against nova.
Like this! Liked
Twitter @Danielgoracers

racerwon
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by racerwon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 am

Have to admit, when we have struggled this year it has been against physical teams and ball pressure. WV probably not an ideal match up for the Racers but its who we got so lets go bust some brackets!
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 am

Curious how the scribe in Lexington predicts our upsetting WVA...

John Fienstein, dean of all sports as we know, didnt mention us at all in his article on the tourney this morning..He says WVA will go on to play Villanova and give them a fight since they have the best defensive guard in the country...maybe the world! I bet he secretly counsels and gives tips to the selection committee too.

In fairness he did mention Syracuse will get an invite if there is any conceivable way..implying even if there isnt they may get in..Well he got one thing right..As in life, there are the haves and the have nots. It just depends..

Go Racers!
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 am

racerwon wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 am
Have to admit, when we have struggled this year it has been against physical teams and ball pressure. WV probably not an ideal match up for the Racers but its who we got so lets go bust some brackets!
I don't watch uk games, but I'm thinking the cats don't have strong, ball handling guards and they handled the press at wv and won
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:17 am

bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Dan T wrote:
smidge34 wrote:

So you would put West Virginia's shot blocker on Sanchious?????? Why?
Let's him stay near/in the paint and come over for weak side blocks or play help with our 2-man game up top since they'll know Brion isn't a huge scoring threat.

If they opt for this strategy then Jalen may be our X-factor. I think he would be our best option for cleaning up offensive rebound chances.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake