If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

MVC Expansion

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

murraygrad05
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: MVC Expansion

Post by murraygrad05 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Yea so maybe going after the blue hairs was not nice of me. Sorry if I offended anyone. :)

I thought at one time there were talks about trying to put some suites in around the top. Or did I dream that? I think that was still when Dunn was here. I personally do not think the upper sections are any worse than going to a Grizzlies game and sitting in the third balcony or to a Preds game and sitting up for a hockey game. Yea you're not as close but the atmosphere in those buildings around still makes it fun. The bank is just dead. It's like a social hour. From row 1 to the top bleacher. (except 109 for you guys.) I think the admin is doing great doing what they can with getting the students there now but there is still a ways to go with that.

There are a lot of design flaws for basketball with our arena but what can you do. I would love to see the giant stupid eat here signs over the concessions area gone forever. But like wrapping the lower bowl around it will probably never happen.
Like this! Liked

ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ERacerHead » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm
Yea so maybe going after the blue hairs was not nice of me. Sorry if I offended anyone. :)
You are forgiven. Keep living right and you can be one of us someday. :thumbup:
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 am

This is an amazing thread as we were complaining about the blue hairs when I was there and the venue was Racer Arena..They pretty much just sat there taking up space...Are they the same women?..kidding..maybe their offspring?...Maybe its a club like The Red Hats.(seriously there is a group of women who have social events wearing the most outrageous biggest red hats they can find) ...Seriously... we did have an issue with them ..Just ask Cowboy...

I Miss Cowboy ..He should be here for this..

Go Racers!
Like this! Liked

RockinRacers
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by RockinRacers » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 am

Whatever happened to cowboy?
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am

I wish I knew. I know he had health problems and had moved back to the Murray area(I think in TN actually) from Wyoming. This was roughly 3 years ago..
Anyone have any information or contact with him? Because he was so prominent on the board Im not optimistic since he just disappeared suddenly..If anyone knows please post so we know...
Side note...He and I had a side thread going for a few years about his secret heartthrob, a girl form my hometown I knew and gave rides to back and forth from Murray...After 40 years he still thought of her..I can relate to that...lol.. Kinda like me actually...
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 am

SwedeDRC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am
I wish I knew. I know he had health problems and had moved back to the Murray area(I think in TN actually) from Wyoming. This was roughly 3 years ago..
Anyone have any information or contact with him? Because he was so prominent on the board Im not optimistic since he just disappeared suddenly..If anyone knows please post so we know...
Side note...He and I had a side thread going for a few years about his secret heartthrob, a girl form my hometown I knew and gave rides to back and forth from Murray...After 40 years he still thought of her..I can relate to that...lol.. Kinda like me actually...
I thought he moved into a house in Louisville with a sister. I talked to him on the phone 3 years ago.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:49 am

SwedeDRC wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 am
This is an amazing thread as we were complaining about the blue hairs when I was there and the venue was Racer Arena..They pretty much just sat there taking up space...Are they the same women?..kidding..maybe their offspring?...Maybe its a club like The Red Hats.(seriously there is a group of women who have social events wearing the most outrageous biggest red hats they can find) ...Seriously... we did have an issue with them ..Just ask Cowboy...

I Miss Cowboy ..He should be here for this..

Go Racers!
they donate money and go to the games, so I can live with that. Just don't know how anyone could go to a game and not raise hell. I do rem an article in the ledger and times in the 70's about the folks in the wooden chairbacks. They were trying to catch who put glue on the seats. :lol:
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 am

Some of us get a lot of exercise in a game jumping up and down, some don"t get much. I need a bunch.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am

I stand whenever I want to stand and I sit whenever I want to sit, taking commands from nobody. Pretty simple yet unbelievably effective. :wink:
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

mojoliet
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by mojoliet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Hopefully 8/10 presidents see what 99% of mvc fans see:

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aar ... 9ae4e.html
Like this! Liked
Redbird fan who's wished Racers to Missouri Valley for a long time. :clap:

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

mojoliet wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 pm
Hopefully 8/10 presidents see what 99% of mvc fans see:

http://www.tribstar.com/sports/todd-aar ... 9ae4e.html
Seems like everyone is for it except the ones who can make it happen :scratch:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 am

A couple of hot seat MVC coaches got canned so maybe that will help. I know I sound like a song on repeat but hot seat coaches and their ADs would be cra cra to want to bring in a perennial so called “mid major” power like us.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:07 am

Smidge...I think your right..We would be an instant major player in the MVC. I think thats the biggest issue and for that reason we aint got a prayer as things stand now.

Someone tell me Im wrong and have become too cynical due to living in DC to long. :bang:
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 am

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:49 am
A couple of hot seat MVC coaches got canned so maybe that will help. I know I sound like a song on repeat but hot seat coaches and their ADs would be cra cra to want to bring in a perennial so called “mid major” power like us.
They'd like the cash, though. UE, SIU, and Indiana State would all see a decent amount of visiting Racer fans come to their home games when Murray comes to town every year. Plus on the very rare occasion the conference gets a second bid, conference revenue stream from the tourney at least doubles. Plus if the conference gets better because it adds a solid program like MSU, it makes it more likely that the MVC representative gets a little better seeding and increases the chance of advancement. It's always about the $$$. Do they see the big picture and the chance to see the conference's share of the cash pie to increase, or are they small minded thinkers that can't get past sharing their small piece of that cash pie with an additional conference member. We'll find out soon.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am

I think they’re just trying to keep their jobs since tourney $$ share doesn’t really matter if you are in the unemployment line.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 am

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am
I think they’re just trying to keep their jobs since tourney $$ share doesn’t really matter if you are in the unemployment line.
If that's truly the case then they're small minded thinkers and we're better off not joining the MVC (I don't think that's the case). We already reside in a conference of small minded thinkers that are comfortable being irrelevant. Like it or not, the MVC is most definitely a declining conference over the past 6-8 years. Their most recent move was to replace Wichita State with Valpo - anybody want to argue that's not a giant leap backwards? It's up to them whether they want to continue the slow erosion or if they want to try to reverse that slide and re-build their brand. In addition, it's the university presidents and board of trustees that make the decision, not the basketball coaches or the AD's. The AD's have a lot of input for certain, but it's still the guy in the corner office that makes that decision, and those guys don't get fired because the basketball team isn't meeting expectations.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by bjhracer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 am

I think there will be a shift back towards mid majors sometime soon. We need to be in the MVC to reap the rewards. Even Lunardi is on Twitter talking how much better the tournament is with more mid majors receiving at-large bids. Many many people are noticing the problem and I feel it will get corrected down the road. Lets face it. The tournament is the biggest money maker the NCAA has and honestly it's the upsets, Cinderella s and smaller schools that get the general public TV ratings. Sure a bottom feeder P5 has a large Alumni base etc. But its almost like the strategy of going after Belmont because they are in Nashville. If they don't support the program Alumni numbers don't matter. The general public loves the mids and its the TV revenue that makes the money.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am

I don’t think Valpo is a giant leap backwards. That is recency fallacy. Wichita hasn’t been very good for very long. Valpo has had a good run of success for quite awhile.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 am

JoeD wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am
I don’t think Valpo is a giant leap backwards. That is recency fallacy. Wichita hasn’t been very good for very long. Valpo has had a good run of success for quite awhile.
That's a good point Joe. But if you compare budgets, coach salary, market size, corporate sponsorship, fan base size - well you really can't compare them. It makes it probable that WSU's down years going forward will be about as good as Valpo's best years. Valpo has been a solid program for certain, but they've never had ranked teams for 3-4 years in a row like WSU has. WSU has been a #1 seed, made deep tourney runs, and held top 10 rankings multiple times. WSU's current success should be sustainable based upon those factors, but we'll find out for sure once Marshall leaves or retires, so you could be correct. I'm an old fart so I remember when DePaul used to be one of the top programs in the country, but where are they now? Sometimes programs fall down and stay down.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

People didn't like Loyola Chicago when they were added and (I know, sorry term thinking here) the year after Wichita state is gone they are getting a win in the tourney.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake