If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

MVC Expansion

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: MVC Expansion

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Right, history is pretty clear that revenue would rise with a move up. You don't see many (any?) moving back once they've left an inferior conference.

I do wonder if potential new MVC teams would get a cut of the money Loyola will bring in; probably not. Nice to be Valpo right now. Very nice.

I don't believe Murray State would turn down an offer, even now. I think the issue is totally of will the MVC extend an invitation. Until they do that, and I doubt that they will anytime soon, Murray State's intentions don't matter.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 am

This year’s tourney shares pay out over six years
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I checked how many Sweet 16s the MVC (teams in the MVC at the time) have in the past 30 years and how many Sweet 16s the OVC has in the past 40 years. It is 9 and 0 respectively.

If the fans got to choose, Murray State would probably already be in the MVC. I think the hurdle is the commissioner, Doug Elgin.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am

I agree with you..ISU...and think Elgin is a big impediment. From his standpoint why would you open up the doors and invite in a new serious challenge to the middling best conference basketball programs.

I suspect those MVC conference members have made crystal clear their position and they have the majority. Unless there is another compelling reason to change things, sadly it aint going to happen for us guys.

Please, someone tell me my reasoning is wrong.. :?: Please..
Like this! Liked

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 pm

If the MVC could convince Belmont, SLU, or Dayton to join as well then things could change.

The good thing is is that the MVC only has 10 members. Lots of room to expand.
Like this! Liked

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Hate to be the pessimist but if it doesn't happen this summer I don't think it will happen. If the MVC doesn't capitalize on the momentum of Loyola's run by adding a couple teams (regardless of Murray being included) I think it's an even bigger mistake than not adding Murray. Honestly I'm all for taking a risk in the MVC but it seems like we'd already be entering the conference as an unwanted team. I know why the took Valpo over us last year, that is fine. But we would have given the entire conference more energy last year and seriously challenged for the crown and should threaten next year if added.

I have to wonder (since we'd presumably be one of the top teams in their league next year) if they're excluding us based on that partially.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

FijiRacer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm
Hate to be the pessimist but if it doesn't happen this summer I don't think it will happen. If the MVC doesn't capitalize on the momentum of Loyola's run by adding a couple teams (regardless of Murray being included) I think it's an even bigger mistake than not adding Murray. Honestly I'm all for taking a risk in the MVC but it seems like we'd already be entering the conference as an unwanted team. I know why the took Valpo over us last year, that is fine. But we would have given the entire conference more energy last year and seriously challenged for the crown and should threaten next year if added.

I have to wonder (since we'd presumably be one of the top teams in their league next year) if they're excluding us based on that partially.
I sure hope we are going to be exceptional next year. just not totally convinced of it yet.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm

FijiRacer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Doug Elgin is reactive, not proactive.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 pm

I know this won't be a popular opinion but had we been in the MVC this past season, we probably would have finished second or third and probably wouldn't have won the MVC tournament. Thus, we MIGHT have received an NIT bid, though far from certain.

Yes, we could win the MVC tournament some years but not as much as we would in the OVC. If we could win the MVC tournament, we would likely get a seed one, MAYBE two, slots better than we would as OVC champ.

So, which would you rather have? More NCAA tournament appearances, or fewer appearances with a slightly better seed?

I don't think the MVC schools are worried that if we joined we would be too good. If anything, we would be pretty much like the schools already there.

Many wanting the change may agree with the above, but they say the move would help us more 10-15 years down the road, as they believe the MVC will be among the "haves" while the OVC will be regulated to "have not" status in the world of college basketball. I honestly don't believe the MVC will run in the haves circle, regardless of its current ninth-best conference ranking. If anything, they might be among the best of the rest.

Is the MVC a better conference than the OVC? Of course. Is it better enough? I'm not so sure.

Finally, it's not looking like the MVC is interesting in expanding anyway. I believe it won't be until one of its current schools bolts for bigger and better that the MVC would come looking at Murray State again.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Well shoot, let’s head to the SWAC. Bet we could win that conference all the time...
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am

JoeD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Well shoot, let’s head to the SWAC. Bet we could win that conference all the time...
Like the MVC, the SWAC's not extending an invitation.
Like this! Liked

mojoliet
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by mojoliet » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:31 am

Murray State’s had 2 teams thisclose to a Final Four run. Those 2 gave the national champion and national runner-up its toughest matchup. A different draw, and a Final Four banner is likely hanging from the rafters at the Bank.

MVC has 2 Final Four runs in 5 years. Those seeds? 9 and 11.

The seeds of Murray’s 2 teams that fell a hair short? 13 and 14.

Seeding matters. The difference between an 11 or a 12 can be a Final Four run. Just ask George Mason, VCU, and Loyola. No 12, 13, or 14 has ever done it.
Like this! Liked
Redbird fan who's wished Racers to Missouri Valley for a long time. :clap:

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 am

A_1985_grad wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am
JoeD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Like the MVC, the SWAC's not extending an invitation.
That’s the best you got? :roll: Joe’s point was “on point” like it or not and you just bailed.

BTW, my crystal ball is in the shop can I borrow yours? I had no idea we would have finished 2nd or worse in MVC. Got any lottery numbers for me while you’re throwing out predictions as fact?
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am

Sorry, smidge, but that's the entire point. It seems the MVC isn't interested in us right now. I was also trying to tap down the notion that they're afraid that we're too good. Did you not notice what Loyola did?

Sorry to be the first person ever to predict or project on a message board. I thought it was assumed that I was sharing an opinion. You know what they say about opinions ...

I suppose my frustration with the process is showing. I probably got my hopes too high last year. It feels like we were played last year with Elgin coming out later and saying he doesn't see expansion happening. But it seems lost on some that it's not up to us.

Let me be clear, if invited, I hope very much we accept. But it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. At least that's what I want to believe.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am

Sorry to be the first person ever to predict or project on a message board. I thought it was assumed that I was sharing an opinion. You know what they say about opinions ...
Don’t be sorry that’s what a message board is for, the exchange of ideas and opinions but you must be ready to take the heat if you are gonna step into the kitchen and bowing down or playing 2nd fiddle to some MVC team will get the heat hurled at you lol. I should have used a :mrgreen: at the end cause my post was not meant to be said hatefully, but inflection is difficult at best with nonverbal communcation.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 am

It might be a little easier to recruit in the MVC, which would make a difference in the program. We really don't need to worry about that league, which may see a dominant team in Loyola, given their location in Chicago, until they are ready to extend an invitation. What we need to concentrate on is becoming dominant once again in the league that we are currently in.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 pm

The goal should be to keep improving until we are at or near the top of all programs, not only in basketball, but also in all sports. If that''s not the vision, then the wrong people are in place.

I'm not saying it has to happen overnight, but steps should be continually taken to improve.

Having said this, one of the best of the non-powet 6 conferences is the MVC. If they didn't want us, they wouldn't have visited us and if we didn't want to make the move, we wouldn't have made the improvements.

We should put out that we intend to move up and improve to all that will listen. If the MVC calls on us first, then go to the MVC. If it is the AAC without football, then make the move.

Intent is everything. The MVC isn't the only option on the table. If they miss out on us, it's their own fault. We were/are willing to make the move but we should entetrain other options.

1 more good year from Loyola and you can bet the bigs will be sniffing in Chicago and there will be another MVC opening.

They have to decide what is more important - good basketball teams, or public-to-private ratio.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:43 am

Teams, as well as conferences, who get a whiff of big time athletics tend to get intoxicated with that success. It will be interesting to see if the MVC holds court with what they've got, or do they try and roll the dice and lure some of the best mid-majors in for a turf grab. To me its a no brainer - big dogs gotta eat or settle for your one-bid scrap. As much as I love football, I think the writing is kind of on the wall for these smaller conferences. The Power Conferences won. Time to put our resources towards basketball.

As for basketball - to me, Northern Kentucky and Murray State make the most sense. Locality wise, they are both in that mid-America region. NKU has a great arena, a large Cincinnati market, and an up and coming basketball program. Murray may not make as much sense financially, but definitely has the tradition and has consistently been one of the best, most consistent mid-major basketball programs out there. Murray's program has enough of a reputation that, given a better than usual season (say 26-4, 28-2) and tough early season schedule, they could be deserving of that second bid being from a more respected and now reputable conference, and that second bid is really the only reason why you want to expand in the first place.

I think a great alternative to either Murray or NKU would be Buffalo.
Like this! Liked

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Would love to play against NKY. But that'd be stretching the conference even further in terms of travel. Regardless I agree with what you've said for the most part. It's kinda now or never for the MVC. It may seem reckless but I'd want to get to 16 teams as quickly as possible, make crazy high buyouts (for leaving the league) and try to secure my turf. How long until the Big East realizes that Loyola is a huge catholic university in a large market and wants to pair them with Depaul? Clock is ticking...
Like this! Liked

BubbaRacer
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by BubbaRacer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 pm

It's July already and not a word from the MVC.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake