If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

MVC Expansion

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: MVC Expansion

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:57 pm

How about this? What if with Loyola's run and maybe another strong season next year they decide they're too big for the MVC and move up. That would likely be our best chance to get invited.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 pm

How much cash rolls into the MVC from having a team in the Final Four? Curious.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 pm
How much cash rolls into the MVC from having a team in the Final Four? Curious.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

Blue N Gold
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Blue N Gold » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:21 pm
Blue N Gold wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 pm
We have some generous boosters but not enough to pay the bill for a move. And to be honest if the university has a $7 million shortfall should conference affiliation be our priority?

And it's hard to believe a fanbase that has watched us make one NCAA tournament in the last 6 years with some darn good Racer teams thinks all of the sudden we're too good for the OVC. Yeah we've got some crappy teams in our conference but some of those crappy teams wore us out not too long ago.

The bottom line is if you go to the MVC you better be ready in all aspects including financially. You'll need to pay coaches more and spend more money recruiting and not just in basketball. I just don't think the University is in the spot to make the commitment that's needed. Maybe one day but not now. The fans may be ready but we don't get to make the call.
I think you are forgetting that the BOR have met already about all this and have all agreed that we can make the move if need be. Granted, yes that was last year but the university has already looked in to it.

I don't think it's so much that we are "too good" for the OVC as much as it is that the OVC has behind the top 2 usual teams has made no steps forward. For example the last place MVC team this season was still 158 in the kenpom. Any guess where the last place OVC team is? 318 out of 351. That only puts 33 teams behind our last place team. And I don't remember any of these teams wearing us out. In those 6 years we have either shared or won the conference in 4 of those and lost the only game that matters (the tourney final) 3 of those years.

So I'm guessing you are ok with beating crap teams every year and never trying to better then program?
A lot has changed since then...I'm not posting all of the reasons again but we are facing a $7 million shortfall. I'm sorry that I care more about the health of this University than what conference we're in. And don't say moving to the MVC will increase enrollment and generate more funds because no one knows that - that's all speculation - although it would be nice to cash in on Loyola's success but that's not something you can count on year after year.

I think we've bettered this program a lot while playing in the OVC over the past 10 years. I would love to see a few more years like this year and 2012. If that could happen more often and attendance and donations rise because of it then I could see a move being more justified. I personally wouldn't want to enter MVC play next year with Brion and Smith trying to fill Terrell's shoes.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:02 pm

You make some good points BUT if I waited around for guarantees on my investment I’d be stuck earning 1.5% on some CD at the “Bank”. I’m from the Ben Affleck’s character in Boiler Room school of thinking. “Act as if...” I’m acting like a racehorse lol. :wink:
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Right, history is pretty clear that revenue would rise with a move up. You don't see many (any?) moving back once they've left an inferior conference.

I do wonder if potential new MVC teams would get a cut of the money Loyola will bring in; probably not. Nice to be Valpo right now. Very nice.

I don't believe Murray State would turn down an offer, even now. I think the issue is totally of will the MVC extend an invitation. Until they do that, and I doubt that they will anytime soon, Murray State's intentions don't matter.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:38 am

This year’s tourney shares pay out over six years
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I checked how many Sweet 16s the MVC (teams in the MVC at the time) have in the past 30 years and how many Sweet 16s the OVC has in the past 40 years. It is 9 and 0 respectively.

If the fans got to choose, Murray State would probably already be in the MVC. I think the hurdle is the commissioner, Doug Elgin.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am

I agree with you..ISU...and think Elgin is a big impediment. From his standpoint why would you open up the doors and invite in a new serious challenge to the middling best conference basketball programs.

I suspect those MVC conference members have made crystal clear their position and they have the majority. Unless there is another compelling reason to change things, sadly it aint going to happen for us guys.

Please, someone tell me my reasoning is wrong.. :?: Please..
Like this! Liked

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:31 pm

If the MVC could convince Belmont, SLU, or Dayton to join as well then things could change.

The good thing is is that the MVC only has 10 members. Lots of room to expand.
Like this! Liked

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Hate to be the pessimist but if it doesn't happen this summer I don't think it will happen. If the MVC doesn't capitalize on the momentum of Loyola's run by adding a couple teams (regardless of Murray being included) I think it's an even bigger mistake than not adding Murray. Honestly I'm all for taking a risk in the MVC but it seems like we'd already be entering the conference as an unwanted team. I know why the took Valpo over us last year, that is fine. But we would have given the entire conference more energy last year and seriously challenged for the crown and should threaten next year if added.

I have to wonder (since we'd presumably be one of the top teams in their league next year) if they're excluding us based on that partially.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

FijiRacer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm
Hate to be the pessimist but if it doesn't happen this summer I don't think it will happen. If the MVC doesn't capitalize on the momentum of Loyola's run by adding a couple teams (regardless of Murray being included) I think it's an even bigger mistake than not adding Murray. Honestly I'm all for taking a risk in the MVC but it seems like we'd already be entering the conference as an unwanted team. I know why the took Valpo over us last year, that is fine. But we would have given the entire conference more energy last year and seriously challenged for the crown and should threaten next year if added.

I have to wonder (since we'd presumably be one of the top teams in their league next year) if they're excluding us based on that partially.
I sure hope we are going to be exceptional next year. just not totally convinced of it yet.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

ISUBird
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by ISUBird » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm

FijiRacer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Doug Elgin is reactive, not proactive.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:57 pm

I know this won't be a popular opinion but had we been in the MVC this past season, we probably would have finished second or third and probably wouldn't have won the MVC tournament. Thus, we MIGHT have received an NIT bid, though far from certain.

Yes, we could win the MVC tournament some years but not as much as we would in the OVC. If we could win the MVC tournament, we would likely get a seed one, MAYBE two, slots better than we would as OVC champ.

So, which would you rather have? More NCAA tournament appearances, or fewer appearances with a slightly better seed?

I don't think the MVC schools are worried that if we joined we would be too good. If anything, we would be pretty much like the schools already there.

Many wanting the change may agree with the above, but they say the move would help us more 10-15 years down the road, as they believe the MVC will be among the "haves" while the OVC will be regulated to "have not" status in the world of college basketball. I honestly don't believe the MVC will run in the haves circle, regardless of its current ninth-best conference ranking. If anything, they might be among the best of the rest.

Is the MVC a better conference than the OVC? Of course. Is it better enough? I'm not so sure.

Finally, it's not looking like the MVC is interesting in expanding anyway. I believe it won't be until one of its current schools bolts for bigger and better that the MVC would come looking at Murray State again.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Well shoot, let’s head to the SWAC. Bet we could win that conference all the time...
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am

JoeD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Well shoot, let’s head to the SWAC. Bet we could win that conference all the time...
Like the MVC, the SWAC's not extending an invitation.
Like this! Liked

mojoliet
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by mojoliet » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:31 am

Murray State’s had 2 teams thisclose to a Final Four run. Those 2 gave the national champion and national runner-up its toughest matchup. A different draw, and a Final Four banner is likely hanging from the rafters at the Bank.

MVC has 2 Final Four runs in 5 years. Those seeds? 9 and 11.

The seeds of Murray’s 2 teams that fell a hair short? 13 and 14.

Seeding matters. The difference between an 11 or a 12 can be a Final Four run. Just ask George Mason, VCU, and Loyola. No 12, 13, or 14 has ever done it.
Like this! Liked
Redbird fan who's wished Racers to Missouri Valley for a long time. :clap:

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 am

A_1985_grad wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 am
JoeD wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Like the MVC, the SWAC's not extending an invitation.
That’s the best you got? :roll: Joe’s point was “on point” like it or not and you just bailed.

BTW, my crystal ball is in the shop can I borrow yours? I had no idea we would have finished 2nd or worse in MVC. Got any lottery numbers for me while you’re throwing out predictions as fact?
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 am

Sorry, smidge, but that's the entire point. It seems the MVC isn't interested in us right now. I was also trying to tap down the notion that they're afraid that we're too good. Did you not notice what Loyola did?

Sorry to be the first person ever to predict or project on a message board. I thought it was assumed that I was sharing an opinion. You know what they say about opinions ...

I suppose my frustration with the process is showing. I probably got my hopes too high last year. It feels like we were played last year with Elgin coming out later and saying he doesn't see expansion happening. But it seems lost on some that it's not up to us.

Let me be clear, if invited, I hope very much we accept. But it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. At least that's what I want to believe.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am

Sorry to be the first person ever to predict or project on a message board. I thought it was assumed that I was sharing an opinion. You know what they say about opinions ...
Don’t be sorry that’s what a message board is for, the exchange of ideas and opinions but you must be ready to take the heat if you are gonna step into the kitchen and bowing down or playing 2nd fiddle to some MVC team will get the heat hurled at you lol. I should have used a :mrgreen: at the end cause my post was not meant to be said hatefully, but inflection is difficult at best with nonverbal communcation.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake