Murray to the MVC

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: Murray to the MVC

Post by smidge34 »

Like this! Liked
bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer »

If true about the Scheduling issues with MVFC then independent would be good til they could get us scheduled. I love the SoCon option too. Seems there are outs for our football program so I don’t see any roadblocks in getting this done. The SIU issue is concerning but honestly if that’s the only holdup from a basketball perspective the other schools in the conference should over ride that. If the MVC Commissioner wants unanimous support then Murray not getting in will fall squarely on his shoulders.
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

I think this is the first time we've taken 2-in-a-row-on-the-road from the Semolians since the 2001/2003 seasons.
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

LOL! I just read the link in Smidge's post. Sorry about the redundancy but it was worth it!

By the way, go back and watch that game-winning field goal again, it was only off off dead-center by about 2 inches!!
Like this! Liked
Sycamorefan96
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Sycamorefan96 »

Loyola and Valpo were both not unanimously voted in, despite reports. Loyola was opposed by UNI, while Valpo was opposed by Missouri State and one other school (can't remember the other one).

It's got to be more than SIU if there is any truth to it. The MVC isn't going to hold back making the league better because of SIU's woes.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by sparekracer »

If SoCon is an option for football, would they be an option for basketball (or full affiliation) too?

SoCon was technically ranked higher in NET rankings last year than the MVC (SoCon was 10th, MVC was 11th - not a wide margin).

Of course, with the MVC adding Belmont it's possible that the MVC could leap ahead of SoCon. And it would seem that the MVC is committing to becoming a more mid-major basketball centric powerhouse.

MVC still fits better in terms of travel. But travel is going to be more of a burden with any non-OVC conference.

MVC still makes the most sense, at least for basketball. But if SoCon is also an option for basketball, it's not a terrible second choice.
Like this! Liked
MolineRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by MolineRacer »

I’d have to look at historical rankings and not just last season to compare the MVC and southern. I’d be surprised if it were anywhere near close when looking at a larger sample size. MVC is far and away the better basketball league.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by sparekracer »

This site appears to only go back to 2019

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... ferencenet

2019 - MVC: 14 / SoCon: 15 / OVC: 24 / MEAC (Last): 32
2020 - MVC: 11 / SoCon: 13 / OVC: 28 / MEAC (Last): 32
2021 - MVC: 11 / SoCon: 10 / OVC: 24 / Ivy (Last - DNP): 32 / SWAC: 31

I agree that MVC is a better fit. But if the alternative is SoCon - it's not horrible. Definitely better than what's left of the OVC.

I'd still prefer MVC if I had a vote - but I don't have a vote.
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

Isn’t the simplest solution still Western Illinois joining the OVC in all sports, and our football team then takes their place in the MVFC? And if so, has there been anymore news of Western Illinois’ interest in the OVC?
Like this! Liked
batts
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by batts »

I would say that western Illinois will not move to the ovc at this time. There are too many unknowns that can make the move to the ovc less profitable for them. Who knows how many if any schools the ovc would add and where from. And as for d2 call ups is it good business to spend 1.6 million for the call up along with the extras that need to be paid for to go to a conference that has lost the bigger names and is unstable at the moment.
Like this! Liked
jayinbama
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by jayinbama »

smidge34 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:24 am Interesting comments on MVC board. I have zero idea of any of this is grounded in fact but it sounds reasonable. I do not want to drop football as somebody suggested, that’s a non-starter, but with that said if we let FCS football drive our athletics then we are stupid. Let’s be honest, if not for our basketball program nobody would even know we exist.

Edit: I have no reason to believe this is anymore than message board crap but if it hypothetically was true, then the SoCon would be a great place to park our FCS football program if it would facilitate a move to the MVC for basketball and others. The football program plays a couple $ games anyway so that will pay the travel increase. Helluva lot sexier than the nOVC.

I still convinced NDSU is moving up after this season. If that happens it throws a kink in their league scheduling. Be a great opportunity for us to join in football. Who knows any more? All I know is the OVC has zero future for the remaining teams.
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

What is the possibility of the OVC completely imploding?
Like this! Liked
EKU05
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by EKU05 »

MolineRacer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 pm I’d have to look at historical rankings and not just last season to compare the MVC and southern. I’d be surprised if it were anywhere near close when looking at a larger sample size. MVC is far and away the better basketball league.
You're not wrong historically, but if you look at a larger sample size of years you're looking at a different MVC that once included the likes of Wichita State and Creighton. It's still a good conference (and one you should want to get an invite to), but it doesn't have the clout it did a decade ago. The SoCon is a heck of a league, and they've weathered their own membership losses as well as any conference I've seen.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Lots of good banter from Ed Marlowe and Neal Bradley’s podcast with the Lindy on the potential move and other Racer stuff. The first 10-15 minutes is first region high school stuff if you want to skip ahead.

Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

A drive to Asheville, NC for the conference championship isn’t exactly Evansville, it changes things but like has been pointed out, it beats the alternative. Looking like the objectors are SIU, Evansville and even Mo State in the MVC because we compete in same area for students. Not really athletics related.
Like this! Liked
bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer »

Hopefully they figure it all out. Would still like basketball in MVC. Even if that means independent football for a few years or SoCon.
Like this! Liked
EVillan
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by EVillan »

smidge34 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:42 pm A drive to Asheville, NC for the conference championship isn’t exactly Evansville, it changes things but like has been pointed out, it beats the alternative. Looking like the objectors are SIU, Evansville and even Mo State in the MVC because we compete in same area for students. Not really athletics related.
Considering both Evansville and Missouri State admins have been on record in full favor of Murray being added, I am not sure where this is coming from. There does seem to be enough smoke regarding SIU though. Seems illogical on their part. Sadly, it seems most of the students UE is attracting aren't even aware we have a basketball team, let alone who is in our conference.

UE and Murray having a conference rivalry would be great for both schools, and I can assure you the admins here fully understand that.
Like this! Liked
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad »

It'll be interesting to see where we are in a week. Marlowe said in the podcast that "something" (maybe or maybe not related to a conference move) is expected to be announced during Homecoming week. If those in charge know something -- good or bad -- maybe it'll be announced then and we can all go on with our lives.

Maybe we will have to wait a year and revisit this stuff, assuming there is more conference movement in general. Maybe something will open up that's not open now.

The only thing we can hold on to now is that no one official has come out and said we are staying where we are. Either no one knows and things are somehow still in the works, or something has been decided and they are just keeping a huge secret until Homecoming.

(BTW, has anyone asked Matt Jones, who reignited hope, just where he got his information that led to his tweet?)
Like this! Liked
wkeown
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wkeown »

Not doubting what Neal says is the actual perception out there, but I find it difficult to believe that those universities could actually believe that athletic conference “status” is a catalyst for student enrollment. If SIU, Evansville, and Mo. State perceive that letting Murray State in the MVC would impact their enrollment numbers, then I think those ADs are very insecure about their own job status.

The line of thinking between athletics and student enrollment impact typically is aligned with the reason for making a jump to FBS, not within conferences - especially FCS conferences.

If I were a parent of a child trying to decide which college to send my kid to, I don’t think Murray’s RPI would be a tipping factor over cost, location, or curriculum. Nor do I believe that over 99 percent of the students would even care.

Take a look at WKUs enrollment numbers for the last 10 years. Despite its added emphasis over athletics over that same time period, they are steadily losing enrollment. That isn’t because of Murray’s NCAA success over that time. It is just a sign of the economic times.

If those Universities actually do believe that letting Murray State in the MVC impacts their enrollment numbers, due either to competition for area students or its potential for lowering the “conference educational standards”, then they are way out of touch with what is really going on in this world.

I’m not in agreement with many on this board. I think the MVC has been struggling to maintain relevancy for over the last decade. Adding Belmont helped them pad their RPI a little, but we see how well Belmont typically does in the tourney, and besides, their fan following sucks. Those state supported MVC schools will soon be whining when they see how much Belmont spends on basketball while the rest of those state schools have to struggle to maintain their entire athletic program.

Though I doubt we will be invited to the Southern Conference, they have been trending up more than the MVC. Time for a big change in my opinion.
Last edited by wkeown on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Like this! Liked
Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Kentucky Lake »

I think now the situation has evolved from "Murray to the MVC" to "get out of the OVC". If the MVC doesn't work out, I would fully support a move to the Southern Conference.
Like this! Liked