Austin Peay Makes it Official, Leaving OVC

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

Austin Peay Makes it Official, Leaving OVC

Post by Racer Insider Will »

What do you think this means for Murray State? What should the Racers do?

http://murraysports.net/0918211.htm
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Austin Peay Makes it Official, Leaving OVC

Post by 75Fan »

Not wait until half the conference leaves before they decide they should do something. :shrug:
Like this! Liked
jayinbama
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by jayinbama »

In Hindsight we needed a backup plan if we were rejected by the MVC when we tried to get in that league. However, that was under a different AD. Now we will see what Saal can do.
Like this! Liked
SoILRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SoILRacer »

With the additional facility upgrades we have planned, it shows the MVC we are willing to invest more cash. Saal could become a Racer legend if he can get us to the MVC. Let’s get it done!
Like this! Liked
fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr »

"We have received notification from Austin Peay that they will be leaving the OVC effective June 30, 2022.

We appreciate their many contributions to the conference over the years and are committed to providing their student-athletes with an exemplary Championships experience this year.

We are clearly in a time of change for intercollegiate athletics, and the Ohio Valley Conference embraces this moment, committed to the institutions and student-athletes whom we serve and confident in our future.

That future is rooted in membership growth, and we are currently in discussions with other institutions that share our philosophy and want to prosper in today’s intercollegiate athletic environment by being part of the OVC.

Our philosophy remains a fundamental one, tied to the basics that underpin the college experience: the benefits of highly competitive athletics; the overall development of our student-athletes; distinctive pathways for them to succeed in their sports and in life; and leadership opportunities across the academic, service, and social justice spectrums.

We look forward to adding schools who, like the members of the OVC, are committed to our principles and our goals. We invite other colleges who are seeking this type of conference experience, for the betterment of their institutions, to contact us. The OVC welcomes those conversations."

- OVC Commissioner Beth DeBauche

what a freaking joke of a commissioner
Like this! Liked
Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Racer Insider Will »

Could we, should we also go to the ASUN if the MVC isn't interested?
Like this! Liked
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad »

Racer Insider Will wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 pm Could we, should we also go to the ASUN if the MVC isn't interested?
I don't hear anyone talking about trying to join the ASUN, but if we truly believe that Lipscomb and Western Illinois (if those are the choices) aren't good enough to make the OVC palatable and the MVC continues to snub us, why not?

Of course, assuming the ASUN wants us, we run the risk of jumping there and Belmont joining the MVC with someone else.

I really would like to see us in the MVC, but that comes with risk as well. Look at Valpo since it joined the MVC ... not so good. I don't know if we have the revenue to get us in the upper reaches of the MVC on a consistent basis; more likely we'd be in the middle with the occasional contending team. I think you'd have to be wearing heavy blue and gold glasses to expect us to be annual contenders as we are in the OVC (or would be in the ASUN). But the years we did get in as a MVC member, our better seed would give us a better chance to advance past the second or third round. (Or maybe even get an NIT bid some years.) And, besides, who doesn't want the challenge?

So my choices would be 1) to determine if there is any chance to get into the MVC, which would include feeling out Belmont about offering ourselves as a joint entry. If not, then see if 2) there is interest from the ASUN (may not be). If the ASUN isn't interested, then we pretty much have no choice other than 3) to make the best of where we are.
Like this! Liked
Sycamorefan96
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Sycamorefan96 »

fmftballmgr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:47 pm "We have received notification from Austin Peay that they will be leaving the OVC effective June 30, 2022.

We appreciate their many contributions to the conference over the years and are committed to providing their student-athletes with an exemplary Championships experience this year.

We are clearly in a time of change for intercollegiate athletics, and the Ohio Valley Conference embraces this moment, committed to the institutions and student-athletes whom we serve and confident in our future.

That future is rooted in membership growth, and we are currently in discussions with other institutions that share our philosophy and want to prosper in today’s intercollegiate athletic environment by being part of the OVC.

Our philosophy remains a fundamental one, tied to the basics that underpin the college experience: the benefits of highly competitive athletics; the overall development of our student-athletes; distinctive pathways for them to succeed in their sports and in life; and leadership opportunities across the academic, service, and social justice spectrums.

We look forward to adding schools who, like the members of the OVC, are committed to our principles and our goals. We invite other colleges who are seeking this type of conference experience, for the betterment of their institutions, to contact us. The OVC welcomes those conversations."

That statement in bold says it all. They have no idea what to do and are just praying that someone wants to join.

If WIU and Morehead football joined that would be the best case scenario. Hopefully Lipscomb is not added and I have no idea why they would be. The OVC is at 9 members, and 10 (with WIU) would be perfect for travel partners and a round robin basketball schedule.

My concern is that WIU doesn't want to join. I sort of feel like they would have been added after the EKU and JSU departures if they were coming. The ASUN has apparently made some kind of commitment that they won't poach a conference below AQ status. The problem, particularly if I am WIU, is do they trust that the ASUN or some other conference won't poach the OVC again if they are added. Honestly if I was WIU I would ride it out in the Summit League / MVFC.
Like this! Liked
sigchimsu99
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sigchimsu99 »

fmftballmgr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:47 pm "We have received notification from Austin Peay that they will be leaving the OVC effective June 30, 2022.

I believe the Key is can we do a package deal with Belmont. MVC has already said they do not want a 11 team conference and prefer 12. They also want to keep the public vs private schools even. ( Why they keep holding on to Evansville). A package deal that brings a football school and two high profile basketball schools to the conference is what they dream of. Plus a Belmont and Murray could make the conference really strong and maybe, just maybe a two bid league. I mean you would be pulling in two the of top 10 all time winning programs in basketball.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

sigchimsu99 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 am

....I mean you would be pulling in two the of top 10 all time winning programs in basketball.
Who would that be? We’re #43, not sure where Belmont falls but it’s significantly less in the win column.
Like this! Liked
EKU05
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by EKU05 »

Yeah...Belmont hasn't even been D1 all that long. I'm not sure what top 10 you'd be putting them in.

Also, while I think you're totally right about the 12 members and public/private balance in the MVC...that isn't the main reason they "hold on to Evansville." That's just how conferences work. Full members are rarely, if ever, simply kicked out of a conference against their will. The only thing I can even think of is St. Thomas getting kicked out of their D3 league because no one else could compete with them.

You'll get into the MVC. It's a matter of when rather than if.

EKU will never say it, but that may be part of what motivated our OVC exit. Just as easily it could have been us sitting here in a greatly diminished league watching Murray and Belmont head elsewhere. Even if the ASUN is less than our 100% ideal fit, we were at least able to (A) choose our own landing spot and (B) project publicly that we were the ones making the move rather than making a panicked reaction to moves that others were making.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by sparekracer »

Does anybody think travel has anything to do with holding Murray State back from moving to a bigger conference?

The Nashville airport is really the closest truly commercial airport to Nashville and it's 2 hours away. Would teams in other conferences balk at the idea of having to fly into Nashville and bus 2 hours to Murray State to play them?

Or would teams charter a flight into Paducah or Murray?

I mean, the ASUN has teams in Florida, Virginia, and Central Arkansas. The MVC has teams in Northern Illinois, Iowa, Northern Indiana, and Western Missouri. Are all of those teams going to bus straight to Murray, KY? (and vice-versa). Are they willing to fly into Nashville and bus for 2 hours to Murray, KY?

I always thought the lack of travel options put Murray in a bad spot. Sure some of the travel in the OVC was long, but a lot of those schools either don't put together a consistently strong enough program (SIUE, EIU, UTM, SEMO) to even be in the conversation for moving to another conference. And the other schools (Morehead, and the Nashville teams) seemingly don't care to move conferences. Or have already decided to move on (EKU, JSU, Austin Peay) and are close enough to airports where traveling opponents is much more feasible.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by murraygrad05 »

sparekracer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:22 pm Does anybody think travel has anything to do with holding Murray State back from moving to a bigger conference?

The Nashville airport is really the closest truly commercial airport to Nashville and it's 2 hours away. Would teams in other conferences balk at the idea of having to fly into Nashville and bus 2 hours to Murray State to play them?

Or would teams charter a flight into Paducah or Murray?

I mean, the ASUN has teams in Florida, Virginia, and Central Arkansas. The MVC has teams in Northern Illinois, Iowa, Northern Indiana, and Western Missouri. Are all of those teams going to bus straight to Murray, KY? (and vice-versa). Are they willing to fly into Nashville and bus for 2 hours to Murray, KY?

I always thought the lack of travel options put Murray in a bad spot. Sure some of the travel in the OVC was long, but a lot of those schools either don't put together a consistently strong enough program (SIUE, EIU, UTM, SEMO) to even be in the conversation for moving to another conference. And the other schools (Morehead, and the Nashville teams) seemingly don't care to move conferences. Or have already decided to move on (EKU, JSU, Austin Peay) and are close enough to airports where traveling opponents is much more feasible.
Paducah would be the place to fly in to. An hour drive from there is really not that bad. It would be about the same as flying in to a metropolitan airport and then having to get across town to the gym.

SEMO of the 90’s era Gary Gardner days, if they had been able to have continued success, would be a great option. Cape has a decent population, not too far from St Louis, has its own media market. But unfortunately it was not meant to be.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by sparekracer »

But do teams pay to charter a flight into Paducah? Or how does that work?

I don't know the Paducah Airport schedule, but I know they only fly into and out of Chicago. I guess those teams could fly to Chicago and then fly into Paducah, but I don't know when those flights are scheduled.

If flying into Paducah works then that answers the travel problem. I figured Nashville was more likely the entry point.

I fully admit I have no idea how these teams travel. I would imagine the football team would be more difficult to move - more players. Other sports like Volleyball, Soccer, and Tennis might not be as cost effective to travel that much.
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

Union City would be just as close distance and time-wise.

From: Everett-Stewart Regional Airport (UCY) 6,202-foot x 100-foot runway.
To: CFSB Center via State Route 94
1hr 2min 50.0mi

From: Barkley Regional Airport (PAH) 6,500-foot x 150 feet runway.
To: CFSB Center via KY-121
1hr 51.7mi

The added benefit would be getting a 2-for-1 with UT-Martin.

Choosing Nashville would provide an opportunity of getting up to a 4-for-1 a la Belmont-Tennessee State-Austin Peay -Murray State, or Just a Belmont-Murray State 2-for-1.

From: Nashville International Airport (BNA) 7,704-foot x 150-foot shortest runway.
To: CFSB Center via I-24 W
2hr 5min 127mi

For comparison's sake, Kyle-Oakley Field (Murray) has a 6,202-foot x 100-foot runway. I know it needs upgrading, but to be on a par with Nashville's smallest runway, we need another 75,000 square feet of runway.

According to this site, construction costs about $18/sq. ft. Using this as a guide we would need to sink a minimum of $1.35 Million into Kyle-Oakley and likely closer to $2 Million just for the runway improvements needed. That's $113 for every resident of Murray!

Unless we are in the NCAA Championship game, the chance of it ever happening while we are members of the OVC are slim-to-none. A move to a higher-profile conference would increase the likelihood of this happening.

A plane the size of a Boeing 737-900 requires in the vicinity of 9,000 feet of runway length for take-offs and 6,600 feet of runway for landings. Using the $18/sq. ft. figures from earlier, a new 9,000 x 150 runway would cost about $24 Million to build!

This information and $1.49 will buy you cup of coffee! :wave:
Like this! Liked
Ghughes
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Ghughes »

Regarding a move to another conference and subsequent need to fly to some schools, I did a quick search of charter flights out of Paducah.
You may recall the Racers flew out Barkley airport the last time we
Went to the NCAA tournament.
First of all, charter flights are different than standard commercial flights. They fly from a starting place convenient to the chartering entity, directly to the destination. For example, Monarch Airgroup can pick up our team at Paducah, and take them to Des Moines, Iowa, the home of the Drake Bulldogs. Flight time is about an hour and ten minutes. So from the CFSB Center to the destination would be about 3 hours.
Monarch lists several planes in sizes to fit the travelers need. Pricing for one way flights start in the $9k range and go up to over $20k for this flight. Double that for return trip.
We would need a smaller plane for the basketball team than for the football team. But more flights for basketball in the MVC scenario so probably flight costs would run more overall.
Leaving from Barkley for us, and flying in for visiting teams seems to make the most sense to me.
Like this! Liked
RacerPreacher
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by RacerPreacher »

If we made the move to The Valley would it make sense for the school to simply purchase a private plane to make these trips at least for everyone other than the football team? If you are flying for soccer, volleyball, XC, track and field, golf, basketball, baseball, softball, tennis, and rifle then it might make sense to own the plane. All of this has to be factored into a move, but, at this point it might not be our choice with the OVC evaporating. If we are going to play in a competitive conference we are going to have to pay for it. Time to make some hard decisions, like it or not.
Like this! Liked
Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Kentucky Lake »

You can have as long of a runway as you want... but thickness of pavement matters. And other stuff.
Like this! Liked
Ghughes
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Ghughes »

I would think it would not be cheaper. First of all there are maintenance costs for a plane that would be large enough to carry the team with the most players, coaches, and equipment. I’d say that is the football team. But if the women’s golf team needed to fly somewhere, that plane would be way oversized for the smaller group on that team. Then there comes the times when sports away schedules overlap and are in different cities. So if you’re going to fly every team, you’re looking at multiple planes. Add in fuel costs and storage in a hangar you’ll soon be way beyond the cost of chartered flights.
I would guess only a few select teams would ever fly, while most would continue on a bus or university van. Most likely basketball and football would fly to away games were we to join the MVC.
Like this! Liked
RacerPreacher
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by RacerPreacher »

When looking at the travel with a move to The Valley I guess you have to consider it is only about 3 hours further drive to the Iowa schools than the drive we made to Jacksonville while they were in the conference. And that trip would be a new death valley for us hopefully with scheduling you could play both in one weekend. Loyola is about 6 hours and Valpo is 6 1/2 again hopefully that can be done in one weekend. The rest of the conference is within reasonable driving even for fans. Plus if you were to add Belmont and Murray as travel partners and the conference split into two 6 team divisions you have a much more reasonable travel situation most years.
Like this! Liked