Murray State to require fans to wear masks

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
windowoffice
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Re: Murray State to require fans to wear masks

Post by windowoffice » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Anyone that would attend a social gathering right away without wearing a mask is a dangerous idiot that believes in "freedom without responsibility".
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:51 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm
I’m just going to sit back and watch the virtue signalers come marching in. :roll:
Right on cue.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:45 pm

Kentucky Lake wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:36 pm
CFSB Center: 33% of 8,600 = 2,838
Stadium: 33% of 16,800 = 5,544

Not that any of this matters... my guess is that with the recent spike, we're not having spectator sports until a vaccine is available.
The last couple of years we had football games with half of that attendance so making us spread out may not be a big deal
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:18 pm

I think the college football season, if it still goes on, will be the catalyst in determining if there will be basketball. Been seeing where some stadiums may not sell the first 10 or so rows and have advertising in place. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Like this! Liked

walleye14
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by walleye14 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 pm

SoILRacer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 am
I’m a season ticket holder for basketball. I’m not driving 1.5 hours with my young kids to have them suck their own CO2 in for an entire game, touch their faces all night, be miserable, and then drive back home.
This issue isn't a big deal to me but sucking in their own CO2 is absolutely false information.
Like this! Liked
Home of 42 OVC Championships
16 NCAA Appereances
28 Consecutive Winning Seasons
ESPN Top 30 Basketball Program

THIS IS RACER BASKETBALL

SoILRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SoILRacer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 pm

walleye14 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 pm
SoILRacer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 am
I’m a season ticket holder for basketball. I’m not driving 1.5 hours with my young kids to have them suck their own CO2 in for an entire game, touch their faces all night, be miserable, and then drive back home.
This issue isn't a big deal to me but sucking in their own CO2 is absolutely false information.
That’s debatable. Not all masks are created equally and some increase intake. I know a couple of nurses that have complained of going home with headaches and dizziness that they attribute to wearing masks for prolonged periods. They can’t wait to get to the parking lot to take their masks off. That said, my word choice was a little too strong. I’m just sick and tired of all of this.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm

I anticipate somewhat permanent changes on the part of fans as well. I think after missing a season, some are going to realize they can do without long term. Not just here, but college and professional sports in general.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm

02Racer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm
I anticipate somewhat permanent changes on the part of fans as well. I think after missing a season, some are going to realize they can do without long term. Not just here, but college and professional sports in general.
At first blush your thought makes a lot of sense. However, past events like baseball strikes for example, show this isnt going to happen. I think a large percentage of the population just needs the diversion of sports. They will drift back after a time to fill the venues as before.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by NKYRacer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 pm

To listen to some of y'all I must be some kinda fucking Superman. I wear a mask for 9-10 hours everyday without a single issue other than messy hair and, with a couple of my masks, a slightly sore nose. Granted I do flip it off occasionally for coffee and to eat...

If they do have games I'll be there, behind the camera as usual, making sure that all those that can't or won't go don't miss a second of the action.

Also, ain't it awefuly nice to be having this conversation? I mean, it's not like anyone else in the conference is going to have problems keeping their crowd to 1/3 capacity.
Like this! Liked

SoILRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SoILRacer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:59 pm

NKYRacer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 pm
To listen to some of y'all I must be some kinda fucking Superman. I wear a mask for 9-10 hours everyday without a single issue other than messy hair and, with a couple of my masks, a slightly sore nose. Granted I do flip it off occasionally for coffee and to eat...

If they do have games I'll be there, behind the camera as usual, making sure that all those that can't or won't go don't miss a second of the action.

Also, ain't it awefuly nice to be having this conversation? I mean, it's not like anyone else in the conference is going to have problems keeping their crowd to 1/3 capacity.
Thanks for your hard work behind the camera.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 am

SwedeDRC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 pm
02Racer wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:18 pm
At first blush your thought makes a lot of sense. However, past events like baseball strikes for example, show this isnt going to happen. I think a large percentage of the population just needs the diversion of sports. They will drift back after a time to fill the venues as before.
Outside of St. Louis, which is baseball heaven, not sure how you can say that attendance was not hit. Wasn’t a big fan either of the players during this crisis making such a big stink about only getting 20% of their contract pay. That still would be more than I’d guess the majority in Calloway County make in a 5 years working 365 days a year.

I truly think movie theaters and everything, including some college sports, will see a drastic decline due to the fact it is more convenient today to just stream. You have access to every genre of movie in one setting and also have access to 100+ games a day if you have espn+ and everything.

The reason why I don’t think Murray will have a drastic decline is that Murray State is Murray. The community embraces all sports. But I’ve been to games, even during Cronin’s and Kennedy’s best years, that only drew maybe 3,000. In some eyes, $5 a month to stream a game that you can sit in your recliner drinking a cold one is exactly how they want to watch a game. No gas, no walking up that cold ass hill in December, and no ticket price.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:26 am

That’s exactly right. There are plenty of places today we can all spend our hard earned $.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 am

Most important if you stay at home, you don't have to put up with the hateful traffic director across from the football stadium. I park across the street, instead of the football stadium, just to avoid him.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am

runningracer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 am
Most important if you stay at home, you don't have to put up with the hateful traffic director across from the football stadium. I park across the street, instead of the football stadium, just to avoid him.
That man is a living legend. He just has a low tolerance for bullshit. :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:11 pm

02Racer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 am
He just has a low tolerance for bullshit. :mrgreen:
Amen, something this country is sorely lacking in this century, particularly the last 12 years. .
Like this! Liked

ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ERacerHead » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Since this thread involves buying season tickets, what do people think about the new levels of giving for the Racer Club? There are fewer levels, and the price jumps are steep. I had wanted to move up a level this year, but now it’s going to cost $1,200 more just to stay at the level we’ve been at the last few years.
And no, I don’t plan to attend games if I have to wear a mask, unless it’s a really cold football game.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:34 am

He is a legend in his own mind, but something closer to what they clean out of Racer 1's stall in mine.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 am

runningracer wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:34 am
He is a legend in his own mind, but something closer to what they clean out of Racer 1's stall in mine.
He might be a bit gruff at times but I can pretty much guarantee you that’s he’s dedicated more time for the betterment of his community than anyone you’ve ever met. He’s served in a leadership role in basically every non profit or charitable organization in Murray: VFW, American Legion, Knights of Columbus, United Way, Hospice House, Life House, library board, Sunday school teacher, youth baseball and on and on.

You don’t have to take my word for it. You could always look up and read the article when he was named Citizen of the Year or any one of his Bronze Star citations from Vietnam.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

02Racer wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:16 am
runningracer wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:34 am
He might be a bit gruff at times but I can pretty much guarantee you that’s he’s dedicated more time for the betterment of his community than anyone you’ve ever met. He’s served in a leadership role in basically every non profit or charitable organization in Murray: VFW, American Legion, Knights of Columbus, United Way, Hospice House, Life House, library board, Sunday school teacher, youth baseball and on and on.

You don’t have to take my word for it. You could always look up and read the article when he was named Citizen of the Year or any one of his Bronze Star citations from Vietnam.
From what I observed at library meetings, he was consistently "removed from facts." When corrected by other board members or community members, he would continue to make the same claims. That's as charitable as I can be about the matter.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 am

Would that be the library meetings held by unelected members who set ridiculous property tax rates, equal to health and twice that of our fire & rescue squad who must beg for donations just to operate? Where they concoct a scheme, with our sheriff’s department running on a shoestring budget and our county roads and infrastructure are crumbling, to build a new Taj Malibrary in a time when people no longer check out books? That one? I digress bigly, sorry.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake