Buy A Piece of Basketball History!

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Buy A Piece of Basketball History!

Post by wkeown » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

I see that they are selling pieces of the previously used arena floor at a premium, with a starting bid of $200 for a 2x4 piece of the floor. Does this seem as obscenely overpriced to you as it does to me? I love the Racers about as much as anybody, but the starting bid makes it pretty much impossible for the common fan, man women or kid to "own a piece of history".

When Riverfront Stadium was imploded, I was able to buy two chairs for $25 a piece and a piece of the astroturf to boot for another $10. Though those seats may not have had 3 NBA draft picks play on it, those seats did witness the Big Red Machine, five world series, three world series champions, two all-star games, hundreds of hall of famers in both football and baseball, two AFC Championships, Morgana the Kissing Bandit, plus Paul McCartney, the Eagles and The Rolling Stones (if we want to talk "history").

If the floor was more reasonably priced at $25 plus shipping to start with...even $50, I might consider it. If not, I'll just wait for the auction to end, drive up to Murray and go dumpster diving for a piece of my history.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Buy A Piece of Basketball History!

Post by NKYRacer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Riverfront seats are a TERRIBLE comparison. First if all, there were still 39000 seats left when they inploded it and I'm pretty sure they sold the 9000+ they removed 2 years before.. 17 years ago.. And not all seats were 25 apiece.

At 2x4 that's what, 820 sections with the endzones and sidelines, far cry less than 40000. That's pretty exclusive.

Edit: did you get the turf in 2000 before they tore it down? Riverfront had grass when they tore it down.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm

I just spent $32 on one of those Charmin forever rolls with holder as a gag Christmas gift. I can swing $200 for a section of floor. Where do you bid?
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 am

NKYRacer wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:47 pm
Riverfront seats are a TERRIBLE comparison. First if all, there were still 39000 seats left when they inploded it and I'm pretty sure they sold the 9000+ they removed 2 years before.. 17 years ago.. And not all seats were 25 apiece.

At 2x4 that's what, 820 sections with the endzones and sidelines, far cry less than 40000. That's pretty exclusive.

Edit: did you get the turf in 2000 before they tore it down? Riverfront had grass when they tore it down.
Not sure I even remotely understand your argument, NKYRacer. Well for a more direct comparison, you can go to EBay and get pieces of the Rupp arena coaches box floor for a lot cheaper bid than $200. If you search for authentic arena memorabilia, you will even see pieces of Cameron Indoor a lot cheaper. I think you get the gist. It’s way too high what they are asking.

As for the AstroTurf, I have no idea where it was removed from the stadium. That didn’t come with a certificate of authenticity like the seats did.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am

If the price is too high for you then don't buy it?

If the price is too high in general then they won't be able to sell it all and the price will come down.

I guess I don't see what the problem is here.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 am

The economic law of supply and demand is undefeated. Many have tried legislating it away for centuries and beyond, still do, yet it remains the undisputed champ.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:18 pm

racerlover wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm
I just spent $32 on one of those Charmin forever rolls with holder as a gag Christmas gift. I can swing $200 for a section of floor. Where do you bid?
Govdeals Good luck, looks like you will be their 4th bidder. :clap:
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am
If the price is too high for you then don't buy it?

If the price is too high in general then they won't be able to sell it all and the price will come down.

I guess I don't see what the problem is here.
For christ sake, this what a board/forum is here for - to discuss. I didn't have a problem here - at first. Just stated my opinion and solicited yes or no opinions from Racer fans on whether they thought the price was too high. The starting bid is $200 for unidentifiable pieces of the floor. I get it about the $10,000 center court piece and have no beef with that. But take a look at any auction site for miscellaneous pieces like this and you will see that the starting price was ridiculous.

I assume whatever isn't sold at auction will probably be either donated or dumped. I would have loved a piece of that memorabilia for my office down here in Georgia, but whomever set the bar as high as they did, I am wondering if there is a reasonable rationale for that decision or did they just over-reach based on ignorance of its worth.

Racer2112, perhaps my purpose for posting this was to subtly alert someone that is in charge of selling the floor to do their due diligence about selling this stuff and perhaps check the message board here - certainly a prime target to purchase these pieces - to see that this opinion was voiced and maybe reconsider the price of the opening bid. When these things go on public auction sites like this, they don't typically keep the stuff lying around forever.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:42 pm

They can of course, ask whatever they’d like but the lack of interest should tell them all they need to know about their asking price.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Yes, I believe supply-and-demand is going to lead to an embarrassing price drop pretty soon. Or maybe not.

I'm sure it was no coincidence that these were released leading up to Christmas. I'm sure someone in charge thought that several Racer fans would pony up $200 and make it a gift. And maybe some have.

Another likelihood is that these were never intended for the "common fan" and certainly not students in the first place, but for the same few well-heeled givers that are always tapped. Problem is, and always has been, this area just doesn't have enough of those, unlike a metro area. Otherwise, we wouldn't have an under-funded football program and would be comfortably in the MVC or larger conference by now.

I wish them well with it, but agree with some of the other posters that I can't help but think they would have made more money had they started out with a lower beginning bid. (Again, I have a feeling it will drop soon.)
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Center court logo. $10k. Sounds reasonable. :lol:
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Are you speaking of completely indistinguishable 2 inch x 6 inch pieces of Cameron Indoor floor for $99? My buddy has one, he has to point it out to you, you wouldn't otherwise notice it.

(That's $9500 for the same size piece of floor you are looking at for $200 what a steal!)

6 inch by 7 inch cut pieces of Rupp Arena coaches box for $60?
That's $1646 for the same size piece, which is actually sad considering all the blue boys out there that still would bust a nut over Pitino's Gucci loafers, let's see what the Racers coaches box pieces go for.

And NEITHER one is anything really special

2 feet by 4 feet is a statement piece, and even the most indistinguishable piece will have WAY more character than rough cut pieces of wood smaller than a piece of paper.

Also it costs the athletic department little because they dont have to pay to have the floor cut up into 85000 pieces and glue then to a plaque.

Smidge has it right, it's supply and demand, and nothing is better than scarcity. Big pieces mean little to no overhead and a faster turn-around and likely a faster payout that once it's all said and done might be bigger than selling a bunch of smaller ones.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:30 am

I can't believe we are even talking about the size of the piece as part of the overall component of value. OK, I'll just wait and see how wrong I am about the worth of this valuable real estate.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 am

If I was going to buy it, I want pieces large enough to install as flooring in my house.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 am

wkeown wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:41 pm
For christ sake, this what a board/forum is here for - to discuss. I didn't have a problem here - at first. Just stated my opinion and solicited yes or no opinions from Racer fans on whether they thought the price was too high. The starting bid is $200 for unidentifiable pieces of the floor. I get it about the $10,000 center court piece and have no beef with that. But take a look at any auction site for miscellaneous pieces like this and you will see that the starting price was ridiculous.

I assume whatever isn't sold at auction will probably be either donated or dumped. I would have loved a piece of that memorabilia for my office down here in Georgia, but whomever set the bar as high as they did, I am wondering if there is a reasonable rationale for that decision or did they just over-reach based on ignorance of its worth.

Racer2112, perhaps my purpose for posting this was to subtly alert someone that is in charge of selling the floor to do their due diligence about selling this stuff and perhaps check the message board here - certainly a prime target to purchase these pieces - to see that this opinion was voiced and maybe reconsider the price of the opening bid. When these things go on public auction sites like this, they don't typically keep the stuff lying around forever.
Easy my dude. Your "opinion" came off as if you had a problem with it when they are just going for maximum profit. If you're willing to pay let's say $100 you probably will still be willing to pay that in a couple of weeks after they've sold half of em for $200 and made more money because they started the pricing high. I was just giving my opinion that the market will dictate whether the price is too high or not and it will correct itself over time.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:49 am

Maybe someone should have hit up Ja and see if he’d buy the whole thing for 100k for when he builds his private practice gym. I mean, that’s what like one game check? :lol:
Like this! Liked

RACERlineman
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RACERlineman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:00 pm

I don't think you guys know how online auctions work lol, everyone bids last minute. The big peices are for businesses or crazy rich people. It's not a crazy price. Only problem is trying to catch all the NBA guys at once at hoopapolluza and have it signed.
:goracers:
Like this! Liked
Twitter @Danielgoracers

RACERlineman
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RACERlineman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Anyone else waiting till last minute having problems registering an account? Lol guess that's what I get.
Like this! Liked
Twitter @Danielgoracers

Explore Kentucky Lake