If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

Post by murraygrad05 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

speck wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm
75Fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm
The Austin Peay road game should be the only game we have a decent chance of losing, so if we take care of business, we still control whether or not we secure an OVC regular season championship.
Morehead may be tough.
Martin is playing a lot better than our first meeting. We always seem to struggle with them on our home court so that may be a trap game.

Also, according to the ESPN power index Peay has a 57% chance of winning Thursday night.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 pm
speck wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm
We do have 20 wins, but against what kind of teams ? We are going have a very tough time to make the dance with what a lot of us thought at one time was one of the better teams we have had in a while. Maybe we have turned it around, we shall see Thursday night.
Why do our own fans hold us to a different standard than everybody else? I don’t care who you are or what conference you are FORCED into, 19 flipping wins against 4 losses vs Alabama, Auburn, Belmont and Jax State in a year coming off a conference championship regular and tourney after losing two superstar studs and starting and relying on so many freshmen and AMENsophomores is PHENOMENAL! Go Racers!
AMEN
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

atlantaracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by atlantaracer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 pm

smidge34 wrote:
speck wrote:
We do have 20 wins, but against what kind of teams ? We are going have a very tough time to make the dance with what a lot of us thought at one time was one of the better teams we have had in a while. Maybe we have turned it around, we shall see Thursday night.
Why do our own fans hold us to a different standard than everybody else? I don’t care who you are or what conference you are FORCED into, 19 flipping wins against 4 losses vs Alabama, Auburn, Belmont and Jax State in a year coming off a conference championship regular and tourney after losing two superstar studs and starting and relying on so many freshmen and sophomores is PHENOMENAL! Go Racers!
Smidge - great perspective. We got way ahead of ourselves with some early success with this group. Talking about how high we’d be seeded, top 25, running through the OVC, etc. All were hopeful of a repeat of Canaan led team. But what we have this year considering that the load is being carried by 1-2 year Racers after losing the production we lost is something we should be proud of.

We should also be proud of higher expectations and not settle.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm
speck wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm
75Fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm
The Austin Peay road game should be the only game we have a decent chance of losing, so if we take care of business, we still control whether or not we secure an OVC regular season championship.
Morehead may be tough.
Martin is playing a lot better than our first meeting. We always seem to struggle with them on our home court so that may be a trap game.

Also, according to the ESPN power index Peay has a 57% chance of winning Thursday night.
Martin now has the kid back that wasn't eligible when we played them, still at home, think we win.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm

It’s a sign of growth in the program that we expect to be in the top 25, single digit seed, and undefeated in conference. We set that bar high and might not hit every mark but boy are we accomplishing great things. We are an elite program and elite programs expect greatness every season. :goracers:
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm

A really smart guy I know says that expectations are preconceived resentments.

I prefer to enjoy the ride.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Martin also gets a shot at Belmont, hosting them Thurs 2/28. If they have an upset saved up for someone, let it be Belmont. With the Racers out of town at Morehead, maybe our Fans should make the short trip and help push them past the Belmont :lol:

:lets: :goracers:
Like this! Liked

Kentucky Lake
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by Kentucky Lake » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Any complaints or concerns were well warranted in my opinion from the first SIUE game to the end of the SIUE game Saturday night. We've been wildly inconsistent in that stretch, something we hadn't seen in the first half or so of the season.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 am

KL Your right...What concerns me is we have not beaten any really good team.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am

At this point in the season, some first year D1 players can hit "the wall". Most times its guys who played a ton of minutes early.

Mike Davis first semester MPG 21.45
second semester MPG 11.41

Tevin Brown 3pt % 1st semester 42.5
2nd semester 29.0

That isn't to say that either one of these guys isn't capable of getting back into the groove (especially Tevin) but something that has to be worked through. I think CMM knows this and is working minutes to the guys who are earning it in practice and tweaking the game plan accordingly.

BTW, I believe that Tevin will be a 40%+ 3 pt shooter for his career. I look for a reversion to the average in the next few games which is bad news for whoever we play.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 am

smidge34 wrote:
speck wrote:
Why do our own fans hold us to a different standard than everybody else? I don’t care who you are or what conference you are FORCED into, 19 flipping wins against 4 losses vs Alabama, Auburn, Belmont and Jax State in a year coming off a conference championship regular and tourney after losing two superstar studs and starting and relying on so many freshmen and sophomores is PHENOMENAL! Go Racers!
I salute you sir. Words to rally around. A Smith goes down. DaQuan never got started due to injury. Hawkins and Dupree went elsewhere before the season. Morant playing with a bumb ankle. I’d love to be undefeated right now. I’d love to have the Belmont and Jax games to do over again. A lot of people wouldn’t have expected this record before the season. We are tied for first. Biggest 4 games of the season coming up. 2 against Peay. Possibly rematches against Belmont and Jax. We ain’t done yet.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

JoeD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am
BTW, I believe that Tevin will be a 40%+ 3 pt shooter for his career. I look for a reversion to the average in the next few games which is bad news for whoever we play.
I am always happy to have Brown shoot the three without having someone in his face.............unless he doesn't have his feet set. I'm sure he's hit a three without having his feet set, but I can't remember it. Every time he shoots one of those, my eyes shift quickly to search for players we have in rebounding position.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake