If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Rationale for Racer's like Canaan, Payne and Morant being labeled as "slipping under the radar."

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

racernut69
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Rationale for Racer's like Canaan, Payne and Morant being labeled as "slipping under the radar."

Post by racernut69 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 am

Brother Racers:
I lack the acumen to understand the reasons for stars like Canaan, Payne and Morant seem to always
be described as having "slipped under the radar" to major college recruiting programs. If these stars made a big impact in high school, don't major programs flock to see them play and evaluate their talents as does the Racer staff? It's incomprehensible to me that, considering Morant's skill set, that only one major, South Carolina, offered him a deal.

What are your thoughts?
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Re: Rationale for Racer's like Canaan, Payne and Morant being labeled as "slipping under the radar."

Post by evvracerfan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 am

racernut69 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:36 am
Brother Racers:
I lack the acumen to understand the reasons for stars like Canaan, Payne and Morant seem to always
be described as having "slipped under the radar" to major college recruiting programs. If these stars made a big impact in high school, don't major programs flock to see them play and evaluate their talents as does the Racer staff? It's incomprehensible to me that, considering Morant's skill set, that only one major, South Carolina, offered him a deal.

What are your thoughts?
Their radar is broke.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Rationale for Racer's like Canaan, Payne and Morant being labeled as "slipping under the radar."

Post by JoeD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am

In reality, the biggest part of this is that the recruiting agencies and the big $$$ schools (especially the low level programs) needs a phrase to excuse the fact that they got it wrong on these guys.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

Kentucky Lake
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Kentucky Lake » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 am

Evaluating talent can be hard to do. It goes across the entire professional spectrum. I've hired people before that shined in interviews and had a nice resume to back them up, only later to find they weren't right for the job.

I think basketball recruiting is the same. Without naming names, we've had highly-touted recruits that didn't pan out. And we've had plenty of recruits that far exceeded expectations.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:19 am

Without any first-hand knowledge, any thoughts I have on the matter are pure conjecture.

Having dispensed with that caveat, I posit that ANY player that is not a regular on the "high visibility" AAU circuits and big-sponsor camps is "under the radar"

I don't think being a stud in a basketball-poor region is impressive enough for some of these schools. They want to see what a player can do against "better" competition before they take a chance on them.

Just my take on it FWIW.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am

Size might have something to do with it.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

walleye14
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by walleye14 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I also think some of these players not necessarily ours are on star studded AAU teams and their talent doesn't have the opportunity to shine through.
Like this! Liked
Home of 39 OVC Championships
15 NCAA Appereances
28 Consecutive Winning Seasons
ESPN Top 30 Basketball Program

THIS IS RACER BASKETBALL

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 am

Some high schools do a better job marketing their players to college teams. I mean playing in events like locally the Marshall County Hoop Fest, as example or what ever you want to name.
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:00 pm

JoeD wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am
This guy was a five star though

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -ulis-1692
Also from Chicago, easier to be notice in big metro cities vs say Cannan from MS gulf coast.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake