If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

One-and-done

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

One-and-done

Post by Racer Insider Will » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

I posted an article on the likely end of the one-and-done rule today...

http://murraysports.net/0711182.htm

I am wondering how this might affect Murray State. Opinions?
Like this! Liked
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this too may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: One-and-done

Post by 75Fan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I don't blame players for doing what they feel is in their best interest.

If they are good enough to play in the NBA at 15 years old and an NBA team wants to invest in them, then good for both of them. It is a bi-lateral contract. Each party has something that the other party wants. It's a win-win for both of them.

As far as I know, Murray State has never had a one-and-done player have they? I don't see that affecting us at all at least not at first glance.

I think Murray has risen to the point where they are starting to recruit two-and-done players and we already have a reputation for being Point Guard U!

We are 2 deep runs in the tournament away from serious consideration by the bigger conferences (IMHO). Maybe then we will have to worry about one-and-done players, but I don't see it as being a big factor either for or against us at this time.

Perhaps others in these forums have a different take?
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I want to see these kids in college basketball not for an education but because they feel they have to, out of the game and where they belong, a professional arena somewhere. Sick of this pay me now attitude and demanding the college game change to fit a minority of players. I’m sick of the 21st century lol.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Racer Insider Will » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

I can recall coaches telling me in the old days that having so many kids go to the NBA straight out of high school was a drain on the talent pool. And that, as a result, they couldn't get the kind of players we had gotten in the past. Think about it. If the big boys have to settle for kids a notch below what they are getting now does that mean that we might not get a player like Ja Morant?
Like this! Liked
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this too may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!

murraygrad05
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by murraygrad05 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Here's the way I see it...

There are 30 NBA teams with usually 10 on a roster.

The NBA draft will produce 60 draft picks. The remainder of which will go to the G-league or overseas or whatever. That still leaves a whole heck of a lot of talent either going to school or staying in school. Any kid coming out of high school, unless they are just stand out amazing like Lebron was, will more than likely be a benchwarmer or an unsigned free agent. Remember, Kobe started out on the bench and had a meh first few seasons. But of course he was making the $$$.

We really have only had 2 true freshman that were stand outs in recent years in Payne and Morant. I can't even put Canaan in that category because he was just so so and coming off the bench his first year. All three of these however were diamonds in the rough. Not so much with Morant because I know he was being looked at by South Carolina, but my point is there is still a lot of talent that is out there that is overlooked or just needs to be developed properly.

And I've said it before on here and I'm sticking with it that these kids are already getting in a sense by going to school. I would have loved to have a free tuition ride to school.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 pm

I had been wondering for a while why the D league became the G league. I finally looked it up ... the G is for Gatorade

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No but really, they simple sold out on the name. How pathetically money hungry is the NBA?
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

bjhracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by bjhracer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Maybe the OVC should look into this. I could live with playing in the "G" league for the money Gatorade is paying.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:11 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm
Here's the way I see it...

There are 30 NBA teams with usually 10 on a roster.

The NBA draft will produce 60 draft picks. The remainder of which will go to the G-league or overseas or whatever. That still leaves a whole heck of a lot of talent either going to school or staying in school. Any kid coming out of high school, unless they are just stand out amazing like Lebron was, will more than likely be a benchwarmer or an unsigned free agent. Remember, Kobe started out on the bench and had a meh first few seasons. But of course he was making the $$$.

We really have only had 2 true freshman that were stand outs in recent years in Payne and Morant. I can't even put Canaan in that category because he was just so so and coming off the bench his first year. All three of these however were diamonds in the rough. Not so much with Morant because I know he was being looked at by South Carolina, but my point is there is still a lot of talent that is out there that is overlooked or just needs to be developed properly.

And I've said it before on here and I'm sticking with it that these kids are already getting in a sense by going to school. I would have loved to have a free tuition ride to school.
I would not describe Canaan's performance as "so so" as a freshman. We were guard rich that year and our coach was conservative with Canaan's playing time. He produced big time when he was in and if we had not had those two guys playing in front of him, he would likely have made a huge splash. Just my opinion.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 am

if you go back to Isaiah's freshman year, he was a U tube sensation. Many were upset that Kennedy did not play him more. Especially in his sophomore year.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Canaan would’ve been a stud on a different roster his freshman and sophomore, he was a stud each of those years when he was in the game
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

murraygrad05
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Maybe I worded that wrong. What I meant was that he did not stand out in his freshman year. Cam and Morant came in and right away made a huge impact. I understand that Canaan did not get the playing time and that he really was better than the guards in front of him. But his stats did not consider him to be a standout. No one was talking about him being the OVC player of the year or a potential draft pick until his junior year. But yes if he had gotten the playing time that was deserved it would have been different.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Yep 10 ppg in 20 mpg and 48% from three freshman year
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:02 pm

And he was only named OVC Tourney mvp.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Two top ten plays on sportscenter
Like this! Liked

STLRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by STLRacer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am

I’m not sure what games you were watching his Freshman year, but I thought just about everyone was thinking he was something special. I travelled to the Illinois State game that year (could have been early sophomore year) because a buddy of mine was going there at the time. I told him before the game about how great Isaiah was and said I thought he would get drafted. I’m almost positive he was a Freshman at the time, and if it was his sophomore year it was early so my saying that would have been based on mostly watching him as a Freshman. I think that most of us felt that way very quickly about Isaiah. His numbers would have been insane had he started his Freshman year. Have to look at quality of play and not stats because it was only his minutes that kept his stats from matching how he looked on the court.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Canaan did not play Illinois State in his career but he definitely was destined for stardom from the start
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm
I can't even put Canaan in that category because he was just so so and coming off the bench his first year.
This is one of the most inaccurate, misinformed posts I've ever read on this board and that is quite an accomplishment. :lol:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Underutilized just like Ivan was.
Like this! Liked

STLRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by STLRacer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:12 am

BigD21 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:13 pm
Canaan did not play Illinois State in his career but he definitely was destined for stardom from the start
You are right! I knew something seemed off! It was when they played at Edwardsville that year.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am

One of Canaan's most impressive plays was in a home game against SEMO his sophomore year. On defense, he saw a play developing for a lob pass for a dunk, jumped what seemed like 4 feet into the air, intercepted the pass, split two defenders, and took it coat to coast for a dunk of his own.

ETA: Here's the video

https://youtu.be/ZD_3Lwfpdxs
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake