If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Mcmahon

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Mcmahon

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm

JoeD wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:59 am
Well, he did inherit a team that lost four of five starters including a lottery pick. But an NCAA tournament in year three (faster than the last two coaches, who moved on to big money jobs).

But yeah, he went one game under .500 where the team lost a ton of one point games. And his first season wasn’t great either. But let’s not forget CMM had one less D1 win than CBK did in his first two seasons, one less non-D1 loss, and win his first OVC championship and NCAA tournament one year sooner.
There’s not a “right” answer here and giving him the full extension isn’t the end of the world for me lol. I’m sure it will prove to be correct decision. I’m just being cautious without seeing more pudding. :wink:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:40 pm

It’s been standard practice to extend since CBK. Possibly, before with the exception of CTA, before then.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Mc will be headed to bigger things in the future. Not sure about better tho. I'm thrilled and proud he and a couple 3 players got us out of that ditch.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

JoeD wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:40 pm
It’s been standard practice to extend since CBK. Possibly, before with the exception of CTA, before then.
Losing records 2 of 3 seasons hadn’t been standard practice since God only knows when lmao, but keep on whiffing.

PS what’s your obsession with debating my personal opinion? Not gonna change it lol. It’s not like I dogged him, in fact I’m not on here trashing the extension bro just saying I WOULD HAVE DONE IT DIFFERENTLY!!
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:43 pm

I just find it funny when people whose basketball knowledge I respect point to what CMM did his first two years as somehow being all that different from CBKs first two years. I think everyone knows the empty cupboard CBK had, it wasn’t much different from what CMM had. But because of how CBK ended, we look at those years differently. In fact, at the end of CBKs run, I laughed at all the crow eaten by some (not you) who had called for his job at the end of year two and three, or at least not going through with an extension- or perhaps calling for it “to have been done differently”

I’m merely trying to be as intellectually consistent as I can. The absolute correct thing to do was to give him the extension, just as was done to every coach since AW got here. Anything else sends a message that has the possibility of being severely misconstrued in a way that could have a major detrimental effect on the staff and the team. And for what?

1. To tell him that losing isn’t acceptable? If a coach needs to hear that to want to win (CMM doesn’t, IMO)...

2. To tell the team that “coach could go at any time”... I’m sure that wouldn’t be a good thing to tell a burgeoning sophomore who wants to play at the next level. That would be chum in the water.

3. To tell the CBB coaching fraternity that there is no room to build here. Win now or you’re gone. That would only hurt any future coaching searches.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 pm

I have no idea who you are responding to because you are way out there reaching for something, God only knows what. Again, if I were AD I likely would have wanted to see year 4 and that’s the end of it lol. I take it you were good already lol, like 10 times already haha. I get it, you have made your opinion known and repeated it ad nauseum as some kind of counter argument to my personal feelings. No, your personal opinion on the matter is not the end all. Sorry to burst that big bubble around you.

Again, it’s probably the right move, I’m just being overly cautious and it will work out end of day.
Last edited by smidge34 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

BTW, comparing Billy Kennedy’s first two seasons to Matt’s is apples to macadamia nuts, again IMHO. :lol:
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 pm

Just cause he got a contract extension doesn't guarantee he will be here for 4 more years, we all know that from years gone by. Hell of a raise though. Who knows, may turn out to be best coach we have ever had. I wish him the best This year will be the year to prove himself.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:44 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he is coaching in the P6 before his 4 years are finished. He has a stacked roster and why I’m not tore up about the extension. I want to make that clear, I’m onboard with this coaching staff and proud to have them. I’m not expecting the moon this season, as it would be difficult at best to pull off a seamless transition sans your two senior everythings. I also don’t expect the bottom to fall out. The season upcoming will be a great barometer of where we are imho and I’m excited to get it started.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wallaceracer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm not a fan of CMM, but looking at this from a different angle if he does start getting bigger offers, then we're positioned better to profit off of his success. I guess it depends on the buyout clause, but if AW is doing his job then he positioned the school to be well compensated in the event that another school comes calling. Didn't the same thing happen a couple of months before Prohm went to ISU?
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:05 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:52 am
SoILRacer wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:26 am
I know I’m not an all-star contributor on here, but I like our coach and I like the idea of this extension through the next 3.5 years. I think he has proven to be fertile soil to invest in, as he continues to improve and work hard at being the best he can be.
We have him under contract for the next 5 seasons unless I’m mistaken, one season removed from the worst 2 year run in 30 years. I get extending him from a recruiting standpoint, but if I were in charge I’d have given him a 1 year extension then went forward based on the results of year 4. For me, one really good season and 2 worst in 30 years would have made a solid 5 year commitment at $395K ($1.975 million less $20K year 4 old contract) tough to do, but I’m not AD and it’s not my ass on the line hiring the coach of the flagship sport. That’s not a shot at Matt from my perspective, regardless of how it’s taken it’s just a blunt, honest assessment from where I stand and from a strictly basketball perspective. I really like Matt’s work ethic and the good, clean program he runs. I think he will do well, just reserved on tying up 5 years of my program’s future on such an untested product.
Agree 100% Smidge. Hope everyone is having a great summer. Good luck to all Racer teams. But, I'm ready for men's basketball to start up again.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 pm

JoeD wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:12 am
Things this coach has done that the last coach didn’t-

1. Had a season where he went under .500
2. Beat Belmont in the OVC Championship
3. Went to the NCAA tournament

Does that warrant an extension that is pretty standard? Yeah I think so.
So Prohm didn't go to the NCAA tournament? I'm pretty sure he not only went, but that he won a game and I was sitting there three rows from the floor watching it. I guess maybe I could have dreamed it all up...
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:21 am

There is reason to worry. Not because Coach McMahon can't do the job. He proved during the three year period that he can build onto a good program. But when a program like SIU goes from perineal championships to what they went through for six or seven years, serving out the Lowery contract, any losing season, or a long term contract, can create tension. I don't believe you can compare the two. McMahon is a hard worker, and an experienced coach, that will not be satisfied with anything but winning. Thankfully, with the success of last season behind us, and a good recruiting class, I don't expect much difference. We may struggle a little bit early in the out of conference schedule, but I believe we will be in the hunt for the conference championship at the end of the year. We have a good coach, and what remains to be seen is if he can keep the championships coming, or if he will have to rebuild every three years. Regardless, it is going to be a good ride, and his style is one that Is fun to watch. Like most, I have some reservations about the first two years, but I am ready for an enjoyable season. I just hope that he is able to keep his excellent staff in place, since that is where our next coach will probably come from if he continues to achieve the success that we all desire.
:goracers:
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Ghughes » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 am

The 2016-17 season is over. You guys need to let it go.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 am

02Racer wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 pm
JoeD wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:12 am
Things this coach has done that the last coach didn’t-

1. Had a season where he went under .500
2. Beat Belmont in the OVC Championship
3. Went to the NCAA tournament

Does that warrant an extension that is pretty standard? Yeah I think so.
So Prohm didn't go to the NCAA tournament? I'm pretty sure he not only went, but that he won a game and I was sitting there three rows from the floor watching it. I guess maybe I could have dreamed it all up...
You are correct, of course he did. And would have went more than once had it not been for a prayer three.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 am

Lol you were only there Joe, about 3 rows in front of me and I have picture evidence. :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 am

Yeah I was. I was thinking more of his last couple years.
Like this! Liked

TennRacer85
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by TennRacer85 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am

smidge34 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm
JoeD wrote:
Losing records 2 of 3 seasons hadn’t been standard practice since God only knows when lmao, but keep on whiffing.

PS what’s your obsession with debating my personal opinion? Not gonna change it lol. It’s not like I dogged him, in fact I’m not on here trashing the extension bro just saying I WOULD HAVE DONE IT DIFFERENTLY!!
Am I missing something? 2015-2016 we were 17-14. Take out Harris-Stowe and Brescia and we are 15-14. I mean, not exactly lighting the world on fire, but that is better than .500. 2016-2017 was a different story, but still only counts as 1 season.

In fairness to Matt, CBK had 53 wins in his first 3 seasons with no titles. Matt has had 59 wins, a reg season and tourney title. I don't think the new contract comes with a statue outside The Bank, but I do feel he's turned the program back around and earned an extension to 2022. I understand why Prohm left, but he didn't exactly leave much behind to build on. It was not as bad a dumpster fire as what CBK was left with, but still pretty awful. Also, it's not like we gave him a 10 year extension.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 pm

TennRacer85 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:55 am
smidge34 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm
JoeD wrote:

Am I missing something? 2015-2016 we were 17-14. Take out Harris-Stowe and Brescia and we are 15-14. I mean, not exactly lighting the world on fire, but that is better than .500. 2016-2017 was a different story, but still only counts as 1 season.

In fairness to Matt, CBK had 53 wins in his first 3 seasons with no titles. Matt has had 59 wins, a reg season and tourney title. I don't think the new contract comes with a statue outside The Bank, but I do feel he's turned the program back around and earned an extension to 2022. I understand why Prohm left, but he didn't exactly leave much behind to build on. It was not as bad a dumpster fire as what CBK was left with, but still pretty awful. Also, it's not like we gave him a 10 year extension.
I’m not too far away from agreeing with the full extension myself and I absolutely love the continued focus on recruiting good kids and winning with class, brought in by BK and continued with SP. God knows we needed it after the stain of the 3 years prior. To answer your first point, maybe it was combined we didn’t have winning record D1, regardless a 15-14 D1 record followed by a losing record for first time in 3 decades gives me pause.

Cronin decimated this program and Billy Kennedy was left to pick up the pieces with a ragtag team thrown together last minute and still managed to keep the steak intact against all odds. It was a recruiting/coaching job for the ages. Should have been COY both seasons, but I digress.

“Am I missing something?” The last time I checked Billy F. Kennedy wasn’t the recruiting coordinator prior to being named head coach lol. He didn’t get the chance for 4 years prior to set up his own destiny with recruit after recruit after recruit brought in, ala Steve MF. Prohm.

Anyway, it’s my opinion if I was AD I likely would have had to see year 4, nothing more.
Like this! Liked

SoILRacer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SoILRacer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Looking at this thread makes me think basketball season can’t get here soon enough! Lol
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake