If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS @ Jacksonville State Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: RACERS @ Jacksonville State Game Thread

Post by BigD21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Handicap wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:02 pm
racerpower wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm
murraygrad05 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

You mean the same coaching that had us 4 points from beating a now top 25 Auburn team? Or the coaching that has us the top offensive team in the OVC and before last night were beating conference teams by an average 20.5 ppg? I think we're fine without him.

I saw somewhere Aurburn had 2 starters out for our game and we still got out coached.
not to mention the guy that got thrown out mid game
You mean the two starters that won't be playing basketball this year because of the FBI investigation? Looked like we were playing just fine before the guy got thrown out.
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

murraygrad05
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

The same two guys did not play when Auburn schooled a top 25 Tennessee team.

Yes McMahon still has growing to do but if you compare this year to last it's like apples and oranges. Except for SLU and the first half last night I think he has done an fantastic job. And you can't really blame just him for those. We got overwhelmed by a team with a great game plan against us. Let's not forget they beat the beloved Belmont the same way they beat us and uncle Rick has been coaching 200 years. But I do not think Harper is any better of a coach than the next. He just had a good plan and his team executed well.

Ja really looked like a freshman for a change last night but I think in a year or 2 we will not see him overwhelmed like that again against an aggressive defense.
Like this! Liked

Ron4Racers
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Ron4Racers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm
The same two guys did not play when Auburn schooled a top 25 Tennessee team.

Yes McMahon still has growing to do but if you compare this year to last it's like apples and oranges. Except for SLU and the first half last night I think he has done an fantastic job. And you can't really blame just him for those. We got overwhelmed by a team with a great game plan against us. Let's not forget they beat the beloved Belmont the same way they beat us and uncle Rick has been coaching 200 years. But I do not think Harper is any better of a coach than the next. He just had a good plan and his team executed well.

Ja really looked like a freshman for a change last night but I think in a year or 2 we will not see him overwhelmed like that again against an aggressive defense.
You say he had a great game plan to beat us. You infer he had a great game plan to beat Belmont. Us and Belmont happen to be the best two teams in the conference. Then you state he’s no better than the next coach. :crazy: I still don’t want him here. But he’s probably better than a lot of the next coaches when you consider what he did last year at a traditional cellar dweller. He took a team full of newcomers and knocked Uncle Rick out of the tourney and went on to win the whole thing.

At Jacksonville State and at Belmont were the only games left on the schedule I had any concern over. We’ve been killing teams. Unfortunately our schedule is rated as the #325 schedule in the country. That didn’t prepare us for getting grabbed and swarmed like we did last night. Even with that I believe we’ll reverse the tables on them February 15th when they return here. Too much talent on this team. On to Cookeville to show them what Racer basketball is about. Time to start a new win streak!
Like this! Liked
GO RACERS!!!!

runningracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by runningracer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 am

Coaches are hired to win games. Harper probably had less talent than most anyone has ever had at Western, and he didn't have a great bunch to start with last year. But for one game, he is tough to beat. He proved that with 2 NCAA appearances at Western and last year at Jacksonville, plus 2 national titles each at the NAIA and Division II levels. He adapts his team to what it takes to beat the opposition, taking away what they do best. This type of coach always gives his team the opportunity to win, as opposed to coaches that play the same every time out, and when their team struggles refuse to change what they are doing. I would put Bruce Pear in this category as well.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 am

bjhracer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 pm
Ok. It may be true Harper is a better in game coach. He is still not as good a recruiter as Matt IMO.
Let's not get carried away lmao.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am

In four full years he couldn't win a regular season championship at WKU. Something McDonald, Horn, And Felton did before him. Not a bad coach but not overly impressed.
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 am

It was a simple case of Ray watching the SLU game and implementing the same style of defensive play that caused us trouble at SLU.

We didn't fix it and so it worked for a second time.

Just my :twocents:
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

wkeown
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by wkeown » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am

First off, it wasn't so much the game plan that Jacksonville laid out - it was their defensive effort. That defense looked very similar to the same one we have seen last year and this year, especially against MTSU, St. Louis and Auburn (in the second half). The reason why we lost those games was their guard hustle and that, in my opinion, was the big difference in the game. We attacked the zone the exact same way we have this year, but we were sloppy with the ball. They saw opportunities on film how we attacked the zone, were anticipating the passes at the top of the perimeter. When we tried to slash inside to break up the zone, their inside players anticipated it, had hands slapping at the dribble, they got the steals and the resulting cheap points.

Murray needed this loss to prepare them for March. For us to come back 19 down to make that a game against that defense was a Herculean effort. BTW, Stark was a stud again on Thursday. I think the second half comeback also sent a message to Jax that we will be better prepared for their pressure come February. In retrospect, maybe we should have probably just sent three guys under the basket, one to set the screen, and let Stark just go off.

Remember...in one bid league, stats don't mean squat. Relax...we got this.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:04 am

Their defensive intensity WAS their gameplan, IMO.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:07 am

They outhustled us and basically kicked our asses in most facets of the game and that happens to every D1 team in the country at some point. We just happen to get penalized for it while it was just an off night for the blue bloods
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:37 am

Now about recruiting, who all on this team did MM actually recruit? I honestly don't know.
Like this! Liked

RacerPop
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPop » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't know how many he personally recruited but he was on the coaching staff that recruited all of them. :shock:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16 pm

RacerPop wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm
I don't know how many he personally recruited but he was on the coaching staff that recruited all of them. :shock:
Believe me, there is a hell of a difference.
Like this! Liked

racerpower
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerpower » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Who ever our new recruiter is we need to keep him.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm

The fella who recruited a chunk of them is sitting on the bench at Dayton, Ohio. Thank God he didn't take Ja with him, if that was possible.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Of the current regular rotation, I believe Kane recruited Ja, Stark, Miller, Dupree, Brion, and Shaq. Not sure about Smith.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Somebody on that bench better be a good recruiter cause we got two seniors that's going to be hard to replace. We better getrdone this year as I can see us going back in to rebuilding mode next year unless we come up with another Stark type player.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:00 pm

You better believe our rise back to respectability will be short lived unless there is an impact big signed and we need two to really be a threat. I'd try to sign another stud PG too.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 pm

BigD21 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am
In four full years he couldn't win a regular season championship at WKU. Something McDonald, Horn, And Felton did before him. Not a bad coach but not overly impressed.
McDon first year as coach was the team from the prev. year. his next season collapsed.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:25 pm

So far our respectability has been beating weakas teams. Three teams in the ovc haven't faced a top 25 team this year, we are one of them. Our highlight has been playing a depleted Auburn team a good game in our house.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake