If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs Middle Tennessee Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

MolineRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: RACERS vs Middle Tennessee Game Thread

Post by MolineRacer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Unfortunately the poor decisions and silly turnovers that stood out to me weren't coming from players making their D1 debut.
Like this! Liked
section 109 STAND UP!

Handicap
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Handicap » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Dan T wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm
Middle had no respect for any of our inside players except Miller, nor should they. Miller is the only threat to score inside unless somebody is left alone for a layup. Fortunately, we play in the OVC. It appears that several posters have forgotten that we have no chance whatsoever for an at large bid to the NCAA, thus, this loss means absolutely nothing in the long run.
Again another year where most of our big men are just for show. Where is the Dupree from the end of last year that was so dominant?
Our bigs aren't setting good screens at all which is why our guards have trouble getting open, and like you said besides Miller, teams shouldn't fear our other men which begs the question.... Where is our big man development? Sanchious still doesnt have a post move of any kind but his confidence seems to be growing with how he finished under the basket last night except for a few bad turnovers.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm

MarshallRacer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am
Like many others I'm encouraged by what I saw last night. I was VERY encouraged in the first half when we actually pressed a bit, switched defenses a couple times, and took a TO and broke down the 1-3-1 effectively for a bit. Then the second half happened. Man to man the last 20 minutes. A couple crucial turnovers when Middle switched back to the 1-3-1. This was a very winnable game that we let slip away.

I personally think we need to reassess having 3 PG's on the floor, the offensive flow sure is slow developing. I would like to see Smith or Sanchious take Hawkins' spot at times to cause some matchup problems for the opposition. They'd have to put a guard on Miller, Dupree, or Smith/Sanchious. We'd probably have to play zone D with that lineup but there's a lot of length to clog passing lanes.
Having 3 bigs on the floor would reduce our scoring options to 3 players, or 2 if Miller is sitting down.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

In the first half when we went to full court pressure and 40 minutes of hell, the game turned our way
Last edited by msuowns on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Not breaking new ground here, but I was encouraged by last night's game. There's no doubt we have way more talent on the squad this year than we did last year. I loved our effort on defense. We created a lot of turnovers, didn't give up open looks from 3, and didn't give up too many easy shots in general. Obviously, we need to improve on the boards. Our bigs being in foul trouble didn't us on that front.

I felt our offense was more of a mixed bag. Credit to Middle's defense, they were tenacious on the perimeter and made us adjust to a lot of different looks (1-3-1, 2-3, and man). When they are trapping we need to get the ball moving quicker, so they are chasing instead of dictating the possession. When they are trapping our bigs have got to be ready for passes to come out of nowhere. We probably had 4 or more turnovers last night because our bigs weren't ready for a pass out of the trap (not just in the 1-3-1, but their traps when we came off screens).

I thought there were a couple of key moments where we could have swung the game in our favor. The first was a series of moments coming out of halftime. Hawk went 0-3 on good looks right out of the gate. He's got to be put those away. Who knows would what would have happened if we jumped to an 8 point lead and made them chase us.

The second was Miller fouling out. He does a lot other than score for us. He stretches the floor, blocks out well, and is a good passer. With him out they were able to collapse in the paint more and make it really difficult for out guards to attack the rim with 2 bigs inside. Without him we don't have a reliable inside scorer (I hope Jalen steps up in this aspect). And Miller not being out there at the end let them double Stark and not worry about leaving Brion shooting a 3.

The third was the loose ball scramble towards the end when we were trying to make a run that we didn't come up with.

The last was "charge" called on Morant.

A few side notes.
- Stark is better than what he showed last night. I hope he shows it from here on out.
- I've never seen so many blatant uncalled forearm push offs in one game.
- Our coach would have been T'd up if he and Kermit had been switched.
- I wanted to see how Ja performed against this level of competition. That kid is the real deal.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by popeyejonesfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Reading some of these posts about our bigs. Dupree has to stay out of foul trouble. He's young and talented
He'll keep getting better. Smith is known for defense and rebounding. He's only played 1 D1 game so far. Brion missed most of his freshman season. He's still young and learning. I think at least 2 if not all 3 of these guys will be much better by the start of OVC play.

I know Brion was a big liability on offense last year. But, collectively, I think our inside game will be much better this year.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by popeyejonesfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Awesome post Racer 2112.
Like this! Liked

2ndGenRacer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by 2ndGenRacer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

You all are missing a huge part of what happend last night, and a big reason I am so impressed by the performance. MTSU made 21/22 free throws...95% If they shot just 75%-80% we win that game. A team will not shoot for 95% again this season.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm

2ndGenRacer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm
You all are missing a huge part of what happend last night, and a big reason I am so impressed by the performance. MTSU made 21/22 free throws...95% If they shot just 75%-80% we win that game. A team will not shoot for 95% again this season.
I don't think that's being missed. I don't think we're going to see a team better than that during the regular season, including the free throw shooting. I think that is why the board is (mostly) encouraged despite last night's game being a loss.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by runningracer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Going to brag on Stark just a little. Stark really worked hard on defense last night. He is finally healthy and able to move. His shot will come, and he will be a big scorer as well. He was very patient until the last three minutes. If he continues to give himself up on the defensive side the results will be a lot of wins and a championship. I wish we had won, because we have better talent. After we get used to each other against a tight defense like we had last night, we will be alright. The main thing is when this team realizes just how good they can be, gain confidence in each other, and get a little swagger, they will be hard to beat. I am disappointed in the loss, but very pleased with the effort that the team gave. Middle is a very good team, and will probably be in The Tournament. I would be very happy to get another shot at them when they do. I have no doubt that the results will be different. For now, it is time to put away the disappointment of this game, and look forward to getting the win on Saturday. After seeing our talent, I expect a season to remember.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by wkeown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am
I'm excited at the possibilities for this team and not trying to be Negative Ned but I will say I miss winning these type games. Been a minute.
Me too, Smidge. I have been following the Racers so long and have seen so much over the years that I just automatically expect it to go our way. I simmered over the loss a few minutes and then reflected back on what an undisciplined bunch we had last year. That team had so much difficulty operating against even decent defensive pressure (ala Jax State). I don't think I saw as good a defensive team as Middle in the OVC last year.

What I also saw was the birth of a star in Morant last night. The kid handled the full court pressure very well. He was also aggressive against it. Yep, he made that turnover last night at a critical point, but we gotta remember, this was his first D1 game...FIRST D1 GAME!

And having guys like Smith, Hopkins and Buchanan come in and still able to maintain offensive pressure. Remember last year when Miller and/or DuPree got two fouls with 10 minutes to go in the first half and you knew it was going to be a long night?

Sucks to be 1-1, but I am looking forward to this year's OVC Tourney.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by bjhracer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Also I wanted to say I love the intensity shaq has. The game changes when he us on the floor. We have gone to a press when he enters the game. I think he is a great 6th man probably our best raw defender. Once he gets on the same page with Ja and Stark and learns where to be to get the no look dish, watch out. He could be a special player. Kind of like Jewuan Long with a lot of hops.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

The last was "charge" called on Morant.
I was sitting in the end zone and had a good look at Morant's charge. He was guilty as "charged" and he knew it, judging by his reaction. I was glad to see him go for it, mistake or not. He's going to be an assassin for this team.
Like this! Liked

Racerball17
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Racerball17 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

If you were to tell me that Miller never got in rythem and fouled out, Stark couldn’t hit a three and had 6 turnovers, Dupree battled foul trouble all night, and Hawkins couldn’t hit anything either, I would say we lose by 25 to that team. But we didn’t and without king we could’ve easily won without our best effort. This team is either extremely fooling us right now or we are the real deal this year. I strongly believe it’s the latter and with just a bit of coaching we could go undefeated the rest of the way. I doubt that will happen because, you know, it’s basketball. But there is no way I would’ve said that the last 2 years. Very excited!
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Handicap wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm
Where is the Dupree from the end of last year that was so dominant?
Sitting on the bench for 28 minutes in foul trouble, that's where.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:49 pm

2ndGenRacer wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm
We were 20-24 from the free throw line.
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

The point I got out of last night was that it took an "A game" and 96% FT shooting for Middle to go home with a win against a Racer team with 8 new players on its roster.

MTSU's King reminded me of TSU's Robert Covington except a bit better and more finessed.

That is a compliment since Covington is still playing in the NBA (Rockets and 76ers). On October 18, 2017 he had 29 points against Washington.

Here's his awards.....

NBA D-League Rookie of the Year (2014)
All-NBA D-League First Team (2014)
NBA D-League All-Rookie First Team (2014)
NBA D-League All-Star (2014)
NBA D-League All-Star Game MVP (2014)
First-team All-OVC (2012)
2× Second-team All-OVC (2011, 2013)
OVC All-Newcomer Team (2010)

So, FWIW, I think MTSU's King is a better player than Covington.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

dbracer14
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by dbracer14 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Encouraged:
We have some great additional weapons this year in Morant, Hawkins, and Buchanan. Smith is also a great addition to have as a 3rd down low player when Dupree or Sanchious are in foul trouble. What an under the radar recruit we got with Morant! The kid is a star and I really feel like he is ahead of where Cam was his first game, which is incredible. Hopefully we hang on to this one more than 2 years. The first half defensive intensity was great. The guys were really committed to locking down.
Discouraged:
Same theme from last year. How many games was it that we lost by less than 5 points last year? Why? Here's my opinion. We have the firepower to hang with most teams in high scoring games. What we don't have is the discipline to get stops when we need them in the last 5 minutes of the game. Help side mistakes and not blocking out go back to coaching and discipline and I'm not seeing either.
We beat a good Illinois State team and just lost by 6 to a great MTSU team on the road last year. By the end of the year we couldn't hang with the top quarter of the OVC. While I'd like to say I'm encouraged by playing MTSU close, I'm discouraged by the fact that I see the same mistakes leading to a loss that we saw last year game after game.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm

Fair enough.

This year's team has 8 new players though.

I can live with the mistakes in the early going.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

dbracer14
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by dbracer14 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

It was a great game to be at and a fun team to watch for sure. I really think that us having 3/4 of a new team every year lately is one of the main reasons for the lack of discipline, so I can't really blame it on coaching directly. These guys may need 2 or 3 years of practicing in a certain system to get to where they can react to different situations without having to "think".
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake