If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Baseball showed great improvement in 2016...

Discuss Murray State University men's sports here, including baseball, golf, tennis, track & field, cross country, rifle.

Moderator: syllable

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Baseball showed great improvement in 2016...

Post by HoptownRacer » Sat May 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Racers walk it off with a win over Morehead today. The season concludes with an 11-win improvement over 2015 including +4 in conference play. Already can't wait for next season!!
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: Baseball showed great improvement in 2016...

Post by A_1985_grad » Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 am

Yes, very promising. Just have to find some pitching. I assume Gutzler got hurt? Gotta think they would have made the tournament if they had him all season.
Like this! Liked

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:18 am

I've gotta believe he got hurt. Had a good offense even without that presence in the line up. This team was fun to watch and the night games are great addition. Looking forward to next season
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 am

Only needed one more OVC win to make the tourney so yeah, huge improvement. Hell If they had swept Morehead and won a couple of tourney games they could've finished above .500 on the season.

The coaches are excited about the recruits coming in next season, and individually the majority of returning players saw improvement through this season. No real reason to not be optimistic for next season, perhaps even a little excited.
Like this! Liked

bred22
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by bred22 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:09 am

Gutzler broke his leg in the 2nd game of the Martin series so only played 17 games out of a 56 game schedule. Although his primary replacement, Dixon, played pretty well, Gutzler is a special player and his presence in the line-up all year would have been a difference maker. Also, our CF, Bence was out about half the season with a broken hand. He was hitting .444 when he went down. After he returned, we started playing our best ball. Our best returning pitcher was also out the 1st half of the season and it took him a while to get back in shape. He threw 8 innings in the walkoff win over Morehead and gave up only 4 runs. If only!

We started the season with 8 new players as starters and it took them a while to gel but we were a good enough team to do some damage in the tourney by the end of the season. Coach Moulder hit the nail on the head when it said in a RI article that we were only 5-4 against the bottom 3 teams in the league, all of which were in the early part of the season. A couple of more wins there and we easily make the tourney. In fact we had series wins against two of the six teams in the tourney.

Assuming no defections, we return our entire position line-up and our best starter. He has added a bunch of pitchers for next year and redshirted several freshmen pitchers this year so I like our team for next season. They've been fun to watch!

When the All-OVC team is announced, I expect 2 and possible 3 players to make first team. Our talent level is much improved and getting better.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 am

bred22 wrote:Gutzler broke his leg in the 2nd game of the Martin series so only played 17 games out of a 56 game schedule. Although his primary replacement, Dixon, played pretty well, Gutzler is a special player and his presence in the line-up all year would have been a difference maker. Also, our CF, Bence was out about half the season with a broken hand. He was hitting .444 when he went down. After he returned, we started playing our best ball. Our best returning pitcher was also out the 1st half of the season and it took him a while to get back in shape. He threw 8 innings in the walkoff win over Morehead and gave up only 4 runs. If only!

We started the season with 8 new players as starters and it took them a while to gel but we were a good enough team to do some damage in the tourney by the end of the season. Coach Moulder hit the nail on the head when it said in a RI article that we were only 5-4 against the bottom 3 teams in the league, all of which were in the early part of the season. A couple of more wins there and we easily make the tourney. In fact we had series wins against two of the six teams in the tourney.

Assuming no defections, we return our entire position line-up and our best starter. He has added a bunch of pitchers for next year and redshirted several freshmen pitchers this year so I like our team for next season. They've been fun to watch!

When the All-OVC team is announced, I expect 2 and possible 3 players to make first team. Our talent level is much improved and getting better.

Thanks man, I'll take that scouting report as Gospel and admit you have me excited. I want a perennial OVC contender and believe we are moving toward that goal slowly.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by BigD21 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:48 am

Ramsey Scott, Tyler Lawrence, and Adam Bauer all ovc and one pitcher forgot his name
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

Kylakeguy
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by Kylakeguy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Saw the guys on the field today. How are they looking this year? Did they return a lot of guys?
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake