If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Murray State to drop Men's Tennis

Discuss Murray State University men's sports here, including baseball, golf, tennis, track & field, cross country, rifle.
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Murray State to drop Men's Tennis

Post by JoeD » Mon May 16, 2016 11:01 am

Budget cuts are starting to hit home
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Murray State to drop Men's Tennis

Post by JoeD » Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am

Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:32 am

Hope the kids find other opportunities and I hope Mel stays on in some capacity at the University.
Like this! Liked

ALPHASIG297
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ALPHASIG297 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Should've cut football instead.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Decisions that will affect us for decades to come are being made by folks with zero ties to our local community and university, sans a paycheck. Same folks who will be gone from here the minute a better offer comes along. EW didn't work out, but I still say 10,000 times over the position of Murray State AD needs to be filled by a good old local boy. Would LOVE to see Lindy in that position. Want to talk about love and passion for Racer athletics, look no further. I like AW, nice fella but I would do lots of stuff different than he does.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm

BTW, it's likely that will NEVER happen as when I have mentioned it to him, he seems about as interested in being AD as working in a deep shaft coal mine lol. I think he's pretty happy where he is in life. The job probably does suck, especially in light of our state's disastrous financial position.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm

JoeD wrote:Budget cuts are starting to hit home
That's like saying "I'm in jail because the cops arrested me."

I would argue that the budget cuts, necessitated by years of irresponsible, reckless spending got us here, plus a retirement plan of the likes you would hardly ever see in the private (real) economic sector. Promising large pension and health insurance plans to state workers is great, if you have the damn good sense to put a plan in place, DAY FREAKING ONE, of said employees' hire to make sure that damn money is there. This state has been ran by a bunch of idiots for decades and all one has to do is look at our national rankings in ever major social statistical category to see that. It ain't rocket science.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 pm

You cut what you deem unimportant. Higher education was deemed less important than a small tax increase, or a cut to some other area. So when higher Ed gets cut, the school makes cuts. And the reason for this cut is because of the state budget.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:39 pm

JoeD wrote:Higher education was deemed less important than a small tax increase, or a cut to some other area. So when higher Ed gets cut, the school makes cuts. And the reason for this cut is because of the state budget.
I can agree that it would seem you can cut it elsewhere. I guarantee you that any tax increases are NOT very popular right now -- when are they ever, but now more than ever with spending ran amok -- and we can argue the merits or lack of on that fact til we are blue in the face, but that's just the way it is, right or wrong. I've alway been for taxing the bejesus out of goods and services -- WHILE BEING GOOD STEWARDS OF THE PUBLIC PURSE -- to pay for public stuff instead of personal income. I abhor legalized theft from honest working Americans.
Like this! Liked

The Swede
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by The Swede » Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Smidge..Your remarks about those responsible for the lack of funding for pensions is well taken and look around. This pattern is repeated from coast to coast because those in charge could,,,Just that simple, and they dont plan on being around to pay the piper..ever...Thats for some one else or rather the saps living in the jurisdictions in question..
Just like the scum running our country. They do it because they can. They do it do get votes from the government employees...so they can live the style to which theyve become accustomed. Its a real nice lifestyle.
Until there is real panic and everyone sees Venezuela in their future this will not change. Kentucky is not and outlier here. They are just going with the flow.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:17 pm

We ain't seen anything yet, compared to the pain and suffering to come from the morons driving the bus headlong toward a cliff. Our current POTUS knows but one answer to anything, SPEND AND SPEND AND SPEND and of course attempting to order around local school boards like some 3rd world dictator lol.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:03 pm

To try and say that these "budget cuts" just suddenly happened is asinine. This has been going on for years. Many programs have either been eliminated or merged in with another department due to budget cuts and many people have lost jobs at MSU due to this. It is not just the current administration of this state. I'm not defending them because I've scratched my head a few times, but you cannot put the blame all on them. Like smidge said this has been a work in progress for years and years and we are finally realizing the hole we are in now that it is too late. Just my two cents.
Like this! Liked

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Everyone whom I worked with in higher education (minus tenured of course) knew this day would come eventually. Unfortunately most of us loved our jobs and teaching so much that we trudged onwards. I was lucky enough to receive an offer elsewhere and got out of teaching. Now all of my past colleagues are scrambling to maintain themselves on 2 courses instead of 6 and reduced pay. The worst part is they have spent the extra time and money on getting advanced and doctorate degrees and were already struggling with debt. They now are forced to move (brain drain) or assume different careers.

We, as a state, are effectively telling anyone who wants to teach that they should not do it here and expect to survive. It's a very sad state of affairs. Education should be an absolute priority (especially when we are consistently in the bottom 10-20% in the nation). Meanwhile there is a ton of construction going on at UK for non-essential dorms/departments. Seems very unfair that everyone is punished "equally" (percentage wise) when the main culprits of non-essential spending are the top dogs in the state.

My mother has worked for the state for over 30 years at this point and she is paid extremely modestly for what she does, the travel, and the amount she works each week. Her department received a letter threatening downsizing and the elimination of overtime pay. She decided to retire along with pretty much the entire department (40 people). After looking at her pension she actually makes more money being retired than working full-time. Just as an aside she had planned to stay with the state department another 7 years.

This is where I have a problem with Bevin (other than of course the fact that he's a total jackass). He just jumped into massive budget cuts without looking at the potential downfalls. Now we're going to have state departments who are paying out pensions that are 120% of past salaries in addition to hiring new workers to fill the place of the ones retiring. In effect by trying to push people around they are going to end up increasing the deficit in these departments. I'm worried the ramifications of these policies will linger for another 25+ years.

Can we legalize marijuana already?
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:17 am

Back to the sports topic... I understand why we cut tennis and not something like football. Football brings in money. From pay checks to get our asses handed to us by power 6 schools to what very little we make at home games. It is considered a profit sport. Tennis to my knowledge is a non profit sport, or last time I went to a match it was free anyway. The cost for travel, housing, meals... I can see exactly why if they were going to cut one it was tennis. I don't think we get anything in return for playing a bigger school in tennis.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:43 am

The tennis budget was $165K. To quote Jeff Bidwell "a proverbial drop in the bucket". Btw, FCS football does NOT "bring in money". That's just misinformation. Still, it doesn't cost the athletic budget nearly as much as you would think. Of course, if facilities management's portion of the cost were figured in, I guarantee you it costs the university a hell of a lot more cash to fund the football team than the tennis.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:41 pm

Yea I agree with you. I guess I was looking at more from the aspect if we ever get a good football team like we had in the 90's we would sell more tickets, concessions, merchandise, etc. and be bringing in more revenue and not take such a hit as we are now having to open a stadium for 500 people maybe on a game day. Tennis is it is what it is. If we have a good tennis team like we always do sadly nobody really notices. I'm sure if they win in the ncaa there are bonuses like in any sport. But other than that there aren't any incentives to keep it going.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Wed May 18, 2016 10:52 am

murraygrad05 wrote:Yea I agree with you. I guess I was looking at more from the aspect if we ever get a good football team like we had in the 90's we would sell more tickets, concessions, merchandise, etc. and be bringing in more revenue and not take such a hit as we are now having to open a stadium for 500 people maybe on a game day. Tennis is it is what it is. If we have a good tennis team like we always do sadly nobody really notices. I'm sure if they win in the ncaa there are bonuses like in any sport. But other than that there aren't any incentives to keep it going.
I hate to see it go but "good like we always do" is a bit of a stretch considering men's tennis hadn't had a winning record in 13 years.
Like this! Liked

ALPHASIG297
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ALPHASIG297 » Fri May 20, 2016 7:25 am

02Racer wrote:
murraygrad05 wrote:Yea I agree with you. I guess I was looking at more from the aspect if we ever get a good football team like we had in the 90's we would sell more tickets, concessions, merchandise, etc. and be bringing in more revenue and not take such a hit as we are now having to open a stadium for 500 people maybe on a game day. Tennis is it is what it is. If we have a good tennis team like we always do sadly nobody really notices. I'm sure if they win in the ncaa there are bonuses like in any sport. But other than that there aren't any incentives to keep it going.
I hate to see it go but "good like we always do" is a bit of a stretch considering men's tennis hadn't had a winning record in 13 years.

Sounds an awful like our football team.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake