Eku troubles

This forum is for the discussion of sports in general, both regarding Murray State athletics and other local, regional, national or world sports.
bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Re: Eku troubles

Post by bjhracer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Great idea but most homes have 2 working parents in them now days, and the ones that don't wouldn't be responsible enough to educate their child. The sad thing is public elementary education has become a free daycare. At least most kids get something out of it they otherwise wouldn't at home.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Great idea but most homes have 2 working parents in them now days, and the ones that don't wouldn't be responsible enough to educate their child. The sad thing is public elementary education has become a free daycare. At least most kids get something out of it they otherwise wouldn't at home.
Public schools are not childcare centers regardless of how they get abused. They become defacto childcare but that is not their purpose and not why I’m taxed out the ass on my property tax bill on the school portion. Besides, I’m talking internet classes by teachers. The children I’m referring to were not educated by the parents, they “went” to an accredited school and received a diploma. We still would have “public school” but you would do it from home.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Without the structure that brick and mortar schools provide, many children would not be able to transition into the structure required of a job.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:07 pm

It’s odd that the homeschooled kids I know have no such issues. In fact I’d argue the socialization acquired in brick and mortar school isn’t exactly what I’d want my children with a still immature brain exposed to before it is ready. Besides, after seeing multiple children well adjusted in the homeschool environment, claims of lack of socialization just don’t hold water. Besides, it is not the job of the state to socialize my child lmao. .
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:19 pm

As a person in an office job, the homeschooled kids I have been around cannot cope socially as well as those from a traditional school setting. Just anecdotal, as it isnt statistically significant assertion.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 pm

To be honest I’m sure there are pros and cons to both sides and who knows what’s best until you have tried? All I’m saying is that it is past time to at least discuss ending the traditional PUBLIC brick and mortar school.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

I think your assertion is a reach at best.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I know several people I grew up with who are homeschooling their kids that have NO place homeschooling anyone. To quote/paraphrase George Carlin, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that!" So roughly half of a generation (hell probably more as they may not have figured out where the kids are coming from) would get a sub par education.

Now if there would be stringent guidelines and goals that must be met I may be able to get behind such an idea.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 pm

:scratch:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:55 pm

MarshallRacer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 pm
I know several people I grew up with who are homeschooling their kids that have NO place homeschooling anyone. To quote/paraphrase George Carlin, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that!" So roughly half of a generation (hell probably more as they may not have figured out where the kids are coming from) would get a sub par education.

Now if there would be stringent guidelines and goals that must be met I may be able to get behind such an idea.
I’m not talking about homeschooling as I’ve already alluded to and I agree.

BTW, anytime somebody brings up an idea to consolidate, reign in public spending or do things more efficiently AND it involves eliminating what is basically government employees, you will undoubtedly get those who will yell, kick and scream NO!!! the entire way. I get that.
Last edited by smidge34 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

Administrator
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Administrator » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Moved to more appropriate forum. Good discussion.
Like this! Liked

Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:42 am

As someone who taught over 30 years in the public school, I very strongly believe in the public school. I'm sure there are other good options out there as well, but I've seen many poor options (which have been chosen by some) as well. As an elementary P.E. teacher I was blessed to get to watch 1,000's of
children grow up, and I've seen how the school system has made a major impact in children's lives. Yes, there are a few occasions where things which take place in the public school lead to a bad experience (and for some, although I think it is a small percentage), and a different environment might be better. But, no doubt in my mind, for every one of those, there are many, many more who have matured better academically, socially, and emotionally by being in the public school setting. While I don't have anything against private or Christian schools (I love the idea of a Christian School), I've witnessed students who came from Christian schools who would be behind academically and have to go back a grade or two. This was almost the norm.

As for home schooling children, I've had friends who have done this for different reasons, and I certainly
believe in the right circumstances believe it can be successful, however, there is no doubt you give up social opportunities when you choose this option. For the ones who choose this before their child ever sets foot in a school building, I believe their giving into fears which likely would never effect their child. Also, as Marshall has pointed out, in way too many cases, many children who are taken out of the school setting for home schooling never have a chance at a decent education based on lack of direction from home.

I believe you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has worked in the school setting for at least two years, who doesn't see the enormous benefits (especially in an elementary setting) of going to a public school.
Like this! Liked

jhughes42071
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jhughes42071 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 pm

While working on my MBA at MSU I enrolled in both traditional and online classes. The depth of information covered and degree of understanding I got from online classes was significantly less valuable. Thats with me as an adult paying thousands of dollars(extra for online) and applying myself 100%. In several of my jobs I've been afforded the opportunity to work from home as well. It takes a very unique person to maintain focus and intensity in a home setting where all of your creature comforts are only an arms reach away.

Now apply that theory to students that are literally there only because they are required to be.

There are students that can and would excel in an online environment but I can almost guarantee that you would see academic standards flail even worse for the bulk of students in an online only setting.

Then there are the students that the only time they experience caring, love and the ability to breath is at school. How many horrible home situations have been discovered simply because their physical presence occurred in a school setting. I could go on and on. I think that online schooling is a great alternative for those students that cannot or will not participate in traditional schooling for whatever reason that is. It allows for them to still be educated by qualified professionals instead of hoping that joe/jane blow has what it takes to teach their Sophomore in high school trigonometry. Thats just it...it's an alternative, not a replacement.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 am

smidge34 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 pm
bjhracer wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Public schools are not childcare centers regardless of how they get abused. They become defacto childcare but that is not their purpose and not why I’m taxed out the ass on my property tax bill on the school portion. Besides, I’m talking internet classes by teachers. The children I’m referring to were not educated by the parents, they “went” to an accredited school and received a diploma. We still would have “public school” but you would do it from home.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 am

Who cares what that moron says? I wouldn’t be using anything that douchebag says as an arguing point lmao if that is what you are doing because that statement is moronic level stupid like a great deal that comes out of his mouth. I repeat, public schools are not and never were meant to be your daycare center.

PS I’m surprised libturds everywhere aren’t praising this statement by the idiot since it’s about as left of an argument as you can get lol, but they are too busy looking for anything to cry about they will run with this and already are. Typical.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 am

Not an arguing point, except to show that this moron believes that schools are, in one part defacto childcare for working families that can't otherwise afford childcare.

Now as far as the arguments coming from teachers right now, you ARE stupid. The state hasn't been funding the pension system for decades and you have been mute. Only now that they are talking cutting benefits do you stand up and say something. The sate has been reducing education funding for decades and the teachers have just sat back and taken it, instead of fighting it they became martyrs. Now I hear them talking about 'getting what is theirs' and how it's 'not fair' and I'm sorry, while I agree that it isn't 'fair' that the state has been robbing the entire public pension system, if it is indeed 'yours' then you should have been fighting for it the the entire time.

Teachers want to talk about 'fair', it isn't 'fair' that all public employees have failed to keep a watchful eye on 'theirs' and not educating the public the fact that every one dollar not put in today will cost exponentially more in the future. It isn't 'fair' that I'm being asked as a taxpayer to now pay for your lack of vigilance.

I value teachers and they deserve fair compensation for what they provide the public, I also value policemen, firefighters, and roads.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 am

Agreed. Who’s gonna pay me back for the SS $ paid in that I’ll never see lol. That’s why I just roll my eyes whenever somebody says “at least you have social security”. Sure I do. :crazy: NEWSFLASH the government would lose money running a $5 whorehouse featuring Playmates and never should have been in the retirement planning game. That’s private stuff. Let’s be honest here, decades ago our “leaders” decided to pay less than market value in salaries but sweetened the pot with Cadillac retirement promises, basically kicking the proverbial can down the road for future generations to worry about. Well here we are.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am

smidge34 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 am
Who cares what that moron says? I wouldn’t be using anything that douchebag says as an arguing point lmao if that is what you are doing because that statement is moronic level stupid like a great deal that comes out of his mouth. I repeat, public schools are not and never were meant to be your daycare center.

PS I’m surprised libturds everywhere aren’t praising this statement by the idiot since it’s about as left of an argument as you can get lol, but they are too busy looking for anything to cry about they will run with this and already are. Typical.
teachers have 5 x the benefits we have. They have excellent pay and can retire in their early 50's and get a much bigger pension than ss. They don have to wait till 72 to get the best payout. Lifetime ins. Many of us who subsidize their lives, have very lil ins. They love to manipulate using the "child" angle. Decades of spoiled liberism. The degree takes an average IQ to get. These people aren't rocket scientist,they should get specialized compensation. They do love u for subsidizing their lucratice jobs tho. Same with MSO profs and many msu fatcats. liberalism at its worst.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 am

See owns it seems as though you are mad at the teachers and imo that is misplaced. I don’t blame them for wanting what was promised to them. In fact, I blame us all from the kick the can down the road then not invest the appropriate $ from day 1 Governors and legislators to the electorate who kept sending them back to the lack of personal oversight by the teachers and teachers’ groups. We are all culpable to varying degrees and the only thing left is to wait and see how it all plays out. It’s a big steaming dinner plate full of BS and everyone gets to take a bite.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 am
See owns it seems as though you are mad at the teachers and imo that is misplaced. I don’t blame them for wanting what was promised to them. In fact, I blame us all from the kick the can down the road then not invest the appropriate $ from day 1 Governors and legislators to the electorate who kept sending them back to the lack of personal oversight by the teachers and teachers’ groups. We are all culpable to varying degrees and the only thing left is to wait and see how it all plays out. It’s a big steaming dinner plate full of BS and everyone gets to take a bite.
The state of Tenn. pension is funded 90%. Now let's see which political party has dominated Ky. For decades. Which group of politicians plundered the teacher's pensions? But they still love them. The money isn't there, but they are pissed and want it anyway. What about so many Ky. Workers that don't have decent health ins? Not even talking about all the other benefits they have. Teachers could careless about all the workers who sacrifice so they can subsidize a teacher's job, huge benefits, early retirement and ins for the rest of their lives.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Explore Kentucky Lake